Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help, Car will not start and MOT booked for Monday

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Strange how you can offer help to others but then get stumped when its your own car. I noticed a few weeks ago when filling up with petrol that when turning ignition key everything was dead apart from usual warning lights . Took key out waited a few seconds and then everything fired up. Just thought it was having a strange moment in the heat and didnt think anymore about it. Car then sat in garage on trickle charge for a few weeks then today I set about pre MOT checks. Tried to start car and got the usual dashboard lights, whirling sound (fuel pump?) but nothing from engine not even a click. Tried jump leads from my day car but nothing again so presumably not battery (it is original).
Disconnected battery for 10 minutes and then tried again, nothing including a second attempt at jumping. Reconnected trickle charge and it is showing 13.3V so presumably that should be enough to turn engine over.
MOT booked in for Monday so going into panic mode. Hope it isnt the dread key battery (there is a different looking spare but that didnt do anything) or the ignition barrel problem.
Any ideas welcome. Thank you

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Updat, just rechecked trickle charger and showing fully charged at 14.4V so presumably that discounts battery completely.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Could be the ignition switch.common problem with loads of threads on here and is a quick easy fix
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Anyone know where I can get one?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Dealers can usually get parts in same/next day.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Quarry motors will send you one, used for about a tenner.

New they were around £80 three years ago.

My used one has been fine though, so that's what I'd opt for.

olsonn

Post by olsonn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Have you tried hitting your starter motor with a hammer? this has been a real big problem with the hot summer, worth a try

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Thank you for ideas. I have ordered an ignition switch from ebay as previous posts have suggested this and it is the easiest/cheapest solution. I will also trace the starter motor and give it a whack but I would have thought some sort of clicking would be audible if motor has packed up, unless it is the solenoid in which case whacking the motor will not achieve anything. Ignition switch will be with me Tuesday/Wednesday so will post up results. Does seem that Ignition switch is becoming a common problem so fingers crossed!!.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:32 am

Decided to check out the price of a starter motor just in case it isnt the ignition switch and cannot believe how cheap they are -£86 at Eurocarparts with a £25 deposit and thats without using a discount code. I checked older threads and members have previously paid hundreds of pounds. Hardly worth messing about so might change that as well for good measure.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:41 am

Pretty sure they pay a fair whack more as someone is fitting for them? I swapped mine out for a Bosch from ECP for about £90 after the surcharge (or maybe people include that in the price?).
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Dave 2 dogs

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 am

If you can’t get to the starter moter
Put it in second gear ( if not auto ) and rock the car back and forth with IGNITION OFF , take out of gear and switch on ignition, I’ve freed starters this way before, (that’s if it’s starter )

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Had high hopes with the ignition switch as key seemed to turn much smoother. But no luck. Now ordered the starter motor from ECP - same day delivery so may still be a quick fix. Almost impossible to see the motor in situ but removing the airbox etc allows you to lean (fall) in.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:48 pm

N52? Bolts are Ali and single use if it is.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Also, is there a clicking noise when you turn the key? And.. remove and replace the battery terminals. Sometimes it's as simple as that.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:14 pm

I had a similar issue which turned out to be the key not being recognized for whatever reason.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104083

A new set of keys from DLV resolved the issue.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104180