Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 pm

My 2003 Z4 2.5 with 89892 miles had few problems when I bought it a few months ago. I left the top down and went in the house for a while. When I came back there was a strong shower going on; I pulled into the garage and toweled everything down; too late I guess.
At first the windows would intermittently stop working, then the radio, then the top lockdown and release.
Next stage a few days later: windows worked, radio worked, top still intermittent.
Next: intermittently could not start car; had to bypass with a wire to solenoid. this worked for a week of two.
Next: stopped starting all together, only a buzzz sound from hood area then a clicking. buzzing stopped when I tried ground wire again but still no starting.
Next: dash lights would go out if i tried to start it more than once.

Next: everything went dead; hooked battery to charger; showed fully charged?
Next: still all dead except now: Park light by shifter flashes and clicking sound is heard from console? until i close door/ stops after a few minutes.
What in the world? Any ideas

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by ph001 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:20 am

Thats the airbag control module that sits under the centre console between the seats that has got water in it. Bit of a bitch to get to unfortunately but can probably be sorted with liberal use if wd40. If you unplug it I bet all the problems disappear. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105296&hilit=Airbag+control+module
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks, I have it in an auto electric shop for the last 6 days. They have been trying to dry it out. When I talk to them next i'll ask if they went into the airbag control module. I'll let you know how it goes and i'll remember the WD40 too. :D

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by ph001 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:48 am

They have probably just wasted 6 days. Also doubt they will know about the airbag control module or where it's located. Sorry to be a little sceptical here but you either need a good indie who knows about these cars or this forum to fix some of these more unusual issues. Basically the control module is corrupting the CANBUS.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:18 am

Got the car back today and you were right; they did not access the center console or even mention the control module. On the plus side they did eliminate the electrical drain; all except a very small one that they contribute to the P on the shifter; which they say stays on all the time. Had they actually locked the car they would have realized the light goes out at that moment. and they didn't charge much; $300 for labor $29 for materials (not sure what that was since no parts are listed). I intend to follow your suggestion and pull the console apart; at least the top part; so I can access the electrical parts and try to dry things out further. Any idea where I can find instructions? And thanks a million for your words of wisdom; I sincerely appreciate it. :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by ph001 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 am

Just search "airbag control module" there are plenty of posts on it :thumbsup:

Steps 5-17 of this guide should give you access to it... http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/6042EN.pdf

Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:40 pm

I guess I need to start from the beginning and learn to do a proper search on this site. When I type; "airbag control module" i get zero hits? However, I downloaded the guide you mentioned and read through the steps you advised. Looks doable but it seems that every screw or clip i try to remove ends up breaking the plastic. Guess i'll need a tube of cement before i get going. That will be my weekend project if the honey do's don't get in the way too much. Any idea where the control module is in that menagerie/ i'm guessing it will be about 4 to 6" by 4" box about and 1 1/2" thick with several wiring groups coming in and out of it. I looked up the part at several suppliers online and that is what i saw. :crazydude: (my current state of mind). Once again, thanks a million for all your guidance. wish me luck.

Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Guess i am goofy. just opened search again and got 127 hits. guess i'll keep digging

Worcester_spoon

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Worcester_spoon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:47 pm

I’ve recently replaced my airbag control module. It was a PITA into get at, but not overly complicated (just a pain). Plenty of guides online if you have a look around.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks to both of you for your comments; I just reached almost the end of the 15th step and came to a halt. Can't tell how to unplug the elec. connection without breaking it? ON the way to that point I found many broken pieces of plastic lying around and even broke a couple myself; the plastic is very delicate and brittle. any suggestions on how to disconnect the electrical connect in step 15? Hate being so close and being stopped but don't want to break anything else. Also, i'm still learning about things; I noticed when I lock/unlock doors the electro-motor in this area activates? is that another short or is it supposed to do that and why if so?
:?

srhutch

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by srhutch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:48 am

From memory there is a lever you need to press in to release the plug. It stick out the top by a few mm.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by ph001 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 am

Hard to say without seeing it, but it's usually a latch of somekind. This is what it looks like with the connectors removed, it's the black one that usually suffers...
airbag control module.jpg
airbag control module.jpg (65.37 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks, I got the electrical connector out and just as several of you indicated, I had to push a piece back before pulling up. I left the module in place but disconnected both wire groups and sprayed elec. drying agent into everything, waited for it to completely dry, then started putting it back together. So far the only thing that is obviously working better is the radio speakers; not sure why? the overall sound is louder, and coming from more places. The top lockdown/up has worked every time so far, door locks, windows, all good. The one thing that isn't working is the outside temperature and clock in the radio? i'm going to check fuses next for these? Since most of the problems were intermittent i'll have to wait and see how things are.

The last big unmentioned issue I have, hopefully, is the seatbelt indicator on the dash. any ideas on how do fix or disconnect? I think someone might have clipped the wiring to avoid audible alarm but not sure yet. At least i'm on the road and much appreciation for all your help. :driving:

Rlove2201

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

Post by Rlove2201 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:51 pm

outside temp and clock in radio are working fine; just needed to reset time and that brought it all on line. Top continues to work well, door locks, windows, seats, mirrors; just the seat belt warning light to complete the repairs.
NOTE: a lot of plastic pins were missing; fenders, engine compartment covers, etc. I went to O'Reillys and eyeballed some/ the Nissan ones seemed to work best; a little tight but did the trick. Now everything is tight and mostly aligned. Everyone's advise was essential to getting it all done; thanks again and i'll try to pass it on some day.

:driving: :rofl: :thumbsup: