Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 soft top hydraulic motor design flaw. Grrr

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Kenneth111

Post by Kenneth111 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Grr. I just got my used 50,000 miles Z4 2005 2.5L just 2 weeks ago.

Already in for a hydraulic motor for the *$()@ ROOF.... cheapest i could find was $1200 for parts and labor here in the USA

Oh well, im new to this board, ......i used to own a Z3, i love love my BRIGHT RED Z4 !!! I guess $1200 is not so bad.

I know this is a VERY common problem ehh?

heres a pic of my baby:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134746128 ... ateposted/

:driving:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:38 pm

Kenneth111 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 pm Grr. I just got my used 50,000 miles Z4 2005 2.5L just 2 weeks ago.

Already in for a hydraulic motor for the *$()@ ROOF.... cheapest i could find was $1200 for parts and labor here in the USA

Oh well, im new to this board, ......i used to own a Z3, i love love my BRIGHT RED Z4 !!! I guess $1200 is not so bad.

I know this is a VERY common problem ehh?

heres a pic of my baby:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134746128 ... ateposted/

:driving:
Hi, did you try searching for someone who could remove the motor without taking the roof off? There’s several guys in the uk who can do this and they can usually revive the motors as well before relocating the motor into the boot where it won’t be water damaged again :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Kenneth111

Post by Kenneth111 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:38 pm Hi, did you try searching for someone who could remove the motor without taking the roof off? There’s several guys in the uk who can do this and they can usually revive the motors as well before relocating the motor into the boot where it won’t be water damaged again :thumbsup:
Rob
Ohhh, my repair will be done tomorrow, but im not in the UK, rather in the USA.....south florida, where its hotter than Satans crotch :thumbsup:

ive read about the relocation to the trunk "trick", it looks lovely !

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:27 am

With the exception of a few D/I/Y's (like myself), there honestly isn't anyone here in the USA doing the thru the trunk(your boot) method &....relocating the motor into the trunk/boot.

I found your site & the step by step instructions on doing it thru the trunk. Until then I through I was truly screwed only because both the motor & emergency release were both shot & I had no way of moving the top, which is required for a total take off.

You guy's in the UK are truly lucky to have as many folks who can pull the motor & relocate it.....I would have gladly paid for that service. Also, it's my understanding that there's a guy in Germany who's done like 1,500 thru the trunk relocations.

We here in the states have nothing but the total roof pull method which is costly.

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 am

Maybe you guys need to club together and pay for one of our roof experts to fly over and teach you how :D
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am

Hey, if the new Z4’s again going to be made in the US... maybe one of u guys can pop round & suggest 2 them to put the motor in the boot...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Kenneth111

Post by Kenneth111 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 pm

BMW Z4 hydraulic motor corroded the hell out....... really the only major design flaw and KNOWN ISSUE with the BMW Z4..... $1100 to fix it...... :cry: :o :headbang:
Attachments
IMG_3775.jpg
IMG_3775.jpg (194.85 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:31 am

Jembo wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am Hey, if the new Z4’s again going to be made in the US... maybe one of u guys can pop round & suggest 2 them to put the motor in the boot...
Dear God, do you really think it was a simple error on BMW's part in putting the motor at the bottom of a drain? BMW simply has way to many very good engineers not to have know that given time all of these motors would fail do to water. However, there location was financially brilliant and made then, as well as their dealerships endless money. Here's the real kicker, this alleged error couldn't fall under a safety issue and BMW was therefore safe from having to fix them all under a recall. I've read on one of these Z4 forums that the z4's initial design called for the roof motor to be located in the niche on the left side of the trunk/boot. This is the exact location where almost everyone in relocating there motors.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 am

Jas- USA wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:31 am
Jembo wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am Hey, if the new Z4’s again going to be made in the US... maybe one of u guys can pop round & suggest 2 them to put the motor in the boot...
Dear God, do you really think it was a simple error on BMW's part in putting the motor at the bottom of a drain? BMW simply has way to many very good engineers not to have know that given time all of these motors would fail do to water. However, there location was financially brilliant and made then, as well as their dealerships endless money. Here's the real kicker, this alleged error couldn't fall under a safety issue and BMW was therefore safe from having to fix them all under a recall. I've read on one of these Z4 forums that the z4's initial design called for the roof motor to be located in the niche on the left side of the trunk/boot. This is the exact location where almost everyone in relocating there motors.
You missed the point fella, we all know why they did it, twas a tongue in cheek remark to put them on notice not to do it again...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

mackharry

Post by mackharry » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi guys, had my Z4 for just over a month now. I don't have a problem with my roof motor but given the amount of people on here that have I'm considering getting it moved to the boot. Is there anyone in the merseyside/ Lancashire area that can do this for a reasonable price? It's an 07 e85.

Thanks
3.0 si sapphire black e85 facelift, individual leather New England black Silverstone grey, ZHP

Gone - Little 4pot e85 facelift ruby black metallic, oregon beige leather, ZHP

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:51 pm

mackharry wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 pm Hi guys, had my Z4 for just over a month now. I don't have a problem with my roof motor but given the amount of people on here that have I'm considering getting it moved to the boot. Is there anyone in the merseyside/ Lancashire area that can do this for a reasonable price? It's an 07 e85.

Thanks
Yes, forum member "Ducklakeview" is based in Cheshire and does these all the time (plus many other useful things for Z4 owners - like keys, etc.) :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 am

Jembo wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 am
Jas- USA wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:31 am
You missed the point fella, we all know why they did it, twas a tongue in cheek remark to put them on notice not to do it again...
It’s the irony thing again :roll:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mackharry

Post by mackharry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks Mr Tidy,

Ill PM ducklakeview when i get round to sorting it out and maybe take a little run out to Cheshire :thumbsup:
3.0 si sapphire black e85 facelift, individual leather New England black Silverstone grey, ZHP

Gone - Little 4pot e85 facelift ruby black metallic, oregon beige leather, ZHP