Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

window stuck down

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
domsz4

window stuck down

Post by domsz4 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 pm

anyone know how to get a window to go up if its stuck down? guessing its the dreaded regulator issue so i need to replace.

put the roof down, ok no issues, just didnt wait for the whole cycle to put windows up. then flicked the two buttons to put them up. passenger went up... drivers went down and has stayed down all night.

you can hear the relay clicking but there is chuff all happening with the motor not a sausage.
Proud Whip owner ;)

greg81

window stuck down

Post by greg81 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Can you pull it up by hand? I could do so when my regular went. If it's completely down inside you might need to pop the door card out and give it a push from the inside

domsz4

window stuck down

Post by domsz4 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 pm

cheers ..deffo have to do that as its right down

this regulator thingy is it just a cable?? i thought it would have been a whole motor type assembly
Proud Whip owner ;)

greg81

window stuck down

Post by greg81 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:45 pm

The cable seems to be a common failure. You can get a repair kit on eBay for about £15. Pain to fit though

When mine went I could hear the motor spinning away though so your issues might run a little deeper than just the cable

domsz4

window stuck down

Post by domsz4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:29 pm

anyone know what pins are what on the motor? or is there a wiring diagram anywhere?
Proud Whip owner ;)

z4too4

window stuck down

Post by z4too4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi my window jammed recently, the cable was completely frayed, and consequently couldn't move back and forth through the cable sleeve. I wouldn't risk burning out the motor it it is completely jammed. I just taped up my window until the parts arrived.

For your reference I bought this cable, but there are others on ebay.
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0261002012

You can see why the cable jammed in my newbie post,
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=107603#p1559960

Here are the two video links I referred to while fixing mine,

Z4 E85 Window Regulator cable replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIWUrI2VFE
and,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3FkjeL9TE
AutoglasMedia BMW Z4 sidewindow installation.mp4

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

P.S. and a heads up
* The door membrane is very easy to tear, just take your time
* The airbag/battery triggering codes avoidance. Make sure the airbag is connected before reconnecting the battery even when just testing the window mechanism before refitting everything.
2004 Z4 E85 2.2i SE, Black Sapphire, Heated Dream Red Leather, Cruise
Plus
- Android 7.1.2, Touch, Voice, Navi, GPS, 3G/4G, Rear Camera, Dashcam, DVD, FM, Aux, USB, WiFi, BT, Phone, OBD2
- Parking sensors
- Wind deflector
- Fitted rubber mats
- LED bulbs

domsz4

window stuck down

Post by domsz4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:33 pm

So it turns out there was chuff all wrong... :headbang:
cables are all in great condition.
motor worked fine off the mechanism
put it all back together and it just needs a reset as the window stops with a tiny gap.

Oh real issue is this metal piece. It came from the rear part of the mechanism where the torx bolt is. I just can't seem to figure out how it goes back in!!!
it all seems OK without it too but I'm concerned it's important
Proud Whip owner ;)

z4too4

window stuck down

Post by z4too4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 pm

the metal back brace for the plastic window sleeving?
Plus
- Android 7.1.2, Touch, Voice, Navi, GPS, 3G/4G, Rear Camera, Dashcam, DVD, FM, Aux, USB, WiFi, BT, Phone, OBD2
- Parking sensors
- Wind deflector
- Fitted rubber mats
- LED bulbs

domsz4

window stuck down

Post by domsz4 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:16 pm

z4too4 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 pm the metal back brace for the plastic window sleeving?
I'm guessing so....does it just clip in or something there are what looks like 3 locating holes and the bit at the bottom of the slider lookslike it clips in .. Just couldn't figure it out from feel alone and it started chucking it down.
Proud Whip owner ;)

rhobson_897

window stuck down

Post by rhobson_897 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:59 pm

I realise this thread is completed, but didnt want to start yet another thread about window regulators on here!

I have attempted to repair my window regulator today, but have run into issues...

So I replaced the whole assembly last year, found an assembly online for £50 so decided to just bin the old one (wish I hadnt now).

It broke again fairly recently, and I've been putting it off for a while, but now it needs attention, so I bought a repair kit on ebay for £8. But the plastic spool doesnt fit... (It's too big, I'm wondering if the assembly I bought last year is from asia or usa and maybe thats why theres a mismatch). Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Does this sound possible, where can I find a repair kit that suits my assembly?

For now I have managed to wedge the window closed, and have ordered a spare assembly from ebay. But would like to know the above!! Also the plastic/metal sleeve on the glass window has snapped on mine, anyone know if these can be bought online somewhere too?

domsz4

window stuck down

Post by domsz4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 pm

good points ... mine isnt quite done. despite putting it all back together so the window is matching the marks on the rubbers ive got a bit of wind noise. any thoughts on how to figure out how or why? it all looks nicely placed. i guess there is some up/down adjustment through the gromets on the under side of the door? but cant figure out how to move it in or out?
Proud Whip owner ;)

z4too4

window stuck down

Post by z4too4 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:13 am

The two halves of the plastic sleeve had broken apart on mine.
It took awhile, but I fiddled about with them during install until they were in the correct orientation then tightened up the fittings.
Plus
- Parking sensors
- Wind deflector
- Fitted rubber mats
- LED bulbs

z4too4

window stuck down

Post by z4too4 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 am

domsz4 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:16 pm
z4too4 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 pm the metal back brace for the plastic window sleeving?
I'm guessing so....does it just clip in or something there are what looks like 3 locating holes and the bit at the bottom of the slider lookslike it clips in .. Just couldn't figure it out from feel alone and it started chucking it down.
The plastic sleeve and metal plate that fits on the highlighted bit below.
IMG_20180824_111815.jpg
IMG_20180824_111815.jpg (117.24 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
Plus
- Parking sensors
- Wind deflector
- Fitted rubber mats
- LED bulbs