Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rough idle and engine warning light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:05 pm

I've got a rough idle which started a few days ago, originally when starting up in the morning it would have to automatically put on a few revs to keep running.

Then yesterday it was idling rough whenever I stopped even after a good length drive.

Today the orange engine light came on, still the same rough idle as yesterday.

Any idea guys? I don't have access any diagnostic equipment myself unfortunately

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Wrighty wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:05 pm I've got a rough idle which started a few days ago, originally when starting up in the morning it would have to automatically put on a few revs to keep running.

Then yesterday it was idling rough whenever I stopped even after a good length drive.

Any idea guys? I don't have access any diagnostic equipment myself unfortunately
Unless you get it scanned it’s all guesswork :(
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:08 pm
Wrighty wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:05 pm I've got a rough idle which started a few days ago, originally when starting up in the morning it would have to automatically put on a few revs to keep running.

Unless you get it scanned it’s all guesswork :(
Rob
Yeah unfortunately so Rob, hopefully it'll flag up exactly what it is

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Breakdown cover may read codes for free. Investing in a scanner should pay for itself in one use though.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Tomsdad

Post by Tomsdad » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:41 pm

I agree you need to read the codes. But when I had a similar problem I fixed it by cleaning the vanos solenoids.
It's a no cost repair. Plenty of info on here especially a thread under my name.
2007 3.0 Si
Montego Blue
Manual

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:53 am

What model? If it's a 2.0l, Valvetronic motor or eccentric cam sensor a distinct possibility... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102843&p=1532625&hi ... c#p1532625
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

laurieballard

Post by laurieballard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:13 pm

If the EML is on, there should be a code to read.

I bought a Bluetooth ODB2 reader from ebay for a few quid and the Torque app showed me the codes.

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:50 pm

2004, 3.0

Codes read,
2882 bank 1 fuel trim
2883 bank 2 fuel trim

Leading towards a split air hose somewhere I reckon. Unable to see where yet though

Knocking noise disappears when the clutch is pressed (in neutral) Definetly coming from the flywheel-cluch area. These have DMF's right?

Edit: realise I didn't mention this second issue in the original post!
Last edited by Wrighty on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Codes cleared, will see if they return after a drive this evening

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Same light returned a few days later. Spotted a small split in rubber elbow inbetween the airbox and inlet manifold.
thumbnail_DSC_3986.jpg
thumbnail_DSC_3986.jpg (161.27 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Changed this morning and light cleared again... rough idle still present... :thumbsdown:

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Convinced myself that it isn't a vacuum leak anywhere but definitely fuel/air mix related, my average mpg (over a good distance) has dropped by 3mpg since the issue started. Also oil usage noticeably decreased too although i'm not sure how related this is... :idunno:

MAF sensor suspected knackered, after good run C110 was reading this:
10.5kg/h (clutch pedal down)
9.5kg/h (clutch pedal up)

I believe 13kg/h is what it should be, can anyone confirm?

Unplugged the MAF connector earlier and it stared up and it idled as badly as usual. I am unsure as to what this indicates, does the car automatically default to some stored setting when it detects the MAF sensor is unplugged? Or is mine broken hence why unplugging it makes no effect on how the car runs?

Will electrical contact cleaner be a suitable thing to clean it with?

Seems I have created more questions than answered ones today!

Wrighty

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:30 pm

laurieballard wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:13 pm If the EML is on, there should be a code to read.

I bought a Bluetooth ODB2 reader from ebay for a few quid and the Torque app showed me the codes.
This

An ELM327 adapter and torque app for under a tenner, you can read and reset EML easily.

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:14 am

srhutch wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:30 pm
laurieballard wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:13 pm If the EML is on, there should be a code to read.

This

An ELM327 adapter and torque app for under a tenner, you can read and reset EML easily.
Further codes other than the ones mentioned in my earlier post @srhutch? I was expecting slightly more info from the C110 when reading the codes through that.

Wrighty

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 am

The fuel trim codes basically mean it can't compensate the injection any further to account for an incorrect mixture. Could be:

MAF
Air leak
EGR valve
O2 sensors (usually bring up their own codes though)

...be nice if you could swap the MAF for a known good one to eliminate but MAF problems are pretty rare on the 3.0l. EGR valves certainly get gunked up pretty often though and the pipe can degrade which leads down to the sump.

The knocking noise which disappears when you press the clutch is a very common DMF noise and nothing too much to worry about.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 am The fuel trim codes basically mean it can't compensate the injection any further to account for an incorrect mixture. Could be:

MAF
Air leak
EGR valve
O2 sensors (usually bring up their own codes though)

...be nice if you could swap the MAF for a known good one to eliminate but MAF problems are pretty rare on the 3.0l. EGR valves certainly get gunked up pretty often though and the pipe can degrade which leads down to the sump.

The knocking noise which disappears when you press the clutch is a very common DMF noise and nothing too much to worry about.
Thanks ph001,

Yes hopefully cleaning the MAF will clear it.

Unfortunately I do not know of anyone local to swap it with. I will definitely look into the EGR valve, not something I'd considered.

Yeah the DMF noise is something that it's always had, it has just been exaggerated recently with this rough idle. Starting and turning off the car with the clutch depressed helps massively

Cheers