Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen replacement - Autoglass

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Just had my cracked windscreen replaced with an OEM BMW one and OEM trim.
Job completed with no issues - looks as good as new.

That sounded easy, however this has been an ongoing saga since I reported it to my insurance on the 11th May.
So that's 11 weeks and 7 bookings later!!!

I haven't the energy to go into the full debacle right now, however I will be writing a letter of complaint to my insurance company LV and Autoglass.

I can tell you that persuading them to supply OEM parts was an absolute nightmare, only at the 6th booking when my case had been escalated to their complaints department and to their 'master fitter', were the parts ordered directly from BMW.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Marlon wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:47 pm Just had my cracked windscreen replaced with an OEM BMW one and OEM trim.
Job completed with no issues - looks as good as new.

That sounded easy, however this has been an ongoing saga since I reported it to my insurance on the 11th May.
So that's 11 weeks and 7 bookings later!!!

I haven't the energy to go into the full debacle right now, however I will be writing a letter of complaint to my insurance company LV and Autoglass.

I can tell you that persuading them to supply OEM parts was an absolute nightmare, only at the 6th booking when my case had been escalated to their complaints department and to their 'master fitter', were the parts ordered directly from BMW.
Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time with it Marlon, I'm with Esure, and with the first phone call they transferred me to autoglass who ordered a genuine windscreen, and it arrived about 3 weeks later, they came and did the job with no issues.
Sounds like your insurance company being difficult to me, god knows why!
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Ive got the same issue at mo.had murders last time.
They have approached my ins co to see if they will approve my insistance on genuine parts.
Be a bugger if they write it off as its only prob 3-3.5k
Looking at some of the e85's on the forum.
Moz

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:12 pm

Here's the whole sorry saga - sent off to complaints department so we will see what happens, if anything.

May 11th -
Contacted Autoglass via LV insurance following crack in windscreen.
I requested an OEM BMW windscreen and seal but was told that this was not possible and I would receive equivalent quality windscreen, although they did say I could have the OEM seal.

Booked Friday 25th May –
Delivered but glass distorted, this was pointed out by the fitter.

Booked Tuesday 5th June –
Delivered but again glass distorted, this was pointed out by the fitter.

Booked Wednesday 13th June –
Received a call on the day to say glass distorted/faulty

Booked Monday 2nd July –
No one had arrived by 7pm so I rang and was told job had been cancelled and that a message had been left at 4pm. There was no history of missed calls and no voicemail on my mobile. My mobile was on loud all afternoon; there were no calls. The operator said this will be logged on the my record and I would have to wait for the dept. to ring me tomorrow to explain and arrange another visit (they didn’t call)

9th July –
Alison from Customer services rang to arrange another booking. No explanation or apology given for the ‘no show’ on the 2nd July. When I pointed out this is the 5th appointment I was told it was probably a faulty batch. Alison said they would check the windscreen before loading it on the van. She gave me her direct number. Arranged another booking for Wednesday 18th July 4pm – 9pm

18th July –
Windscreen arrived and was not faulty, however the seal was a copy and I had requested and been assured the seal was BMW OEM. The Master fitter John and myself decided to not fit the windscreen or seal and John is going to order BMW OEM windscreen and seal, which is what I had requested on the 11th May!

John gave me his mobile and said once the parts are ordered I will be given a new appointment. He personally sent an email requesting the OEM parts and assured me that they will be delivered.

27th July –
New booking from 4pm. Assured over the phone that all parts being delivered are OEM BMW. John B and Mathew arrived with BMW OEM windscreen and seal - all fitted perfectly.

So that is 11 weeks from logging the original call to windscreen replacement.

If my initial request for an OEM BMW windscreen and seal had been accepted then this job would have been completed in less than two weeks. Instead I had the stress of continual half days leave or early finishes (having to make up the flexi time later) only to arrive at home and find that the windscreen was faulty time after time.

The windscreen and seal that was fitted on the 7th booking is fine and I am happy with the product and the fitters who did an excellent job, its just a pity that this couldn’t have been sorted sooner.
911 997 Carrera S

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:24 pm

:x bad glad you got it sorted maybe this will help others to fight there corner in future fittings :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:57 pm

Wot a sorry saga.i had the same 3yrs ago..
Now its gone again rang nat windscreens thurs i think stating i wanted bmw screen and gasket.they contacted ERS ins , i got a call from ERS on mon aporoving the bmw parts so its now on order from Bmw.
I asked the costs nat are charging £420 + vat .+my £75.
Rang bmw there price £600+vat + my £125 .
So see how we go

MalNCH

Post by MalNCH » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:42 pm

Had the same problem with my MGF with Autoglass, Took 3 attempts to get OEM screen fitted, and even then they damaged the bonnet by standing on it..... Unbelievable, luckily I took photos of the job being done after the first 2 feck ups, they paid for bonnet repair. Sadly a conrod decided to make a break for freedom a week later, hence I have a Z4.
2004 E85 3.0i, Titan Silver Metallic.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:00 pm

I cant believe you went through all that,,, I was driving the works van last week and suddenly, BANG,, and then spent the rest of the journey watching the crack creep across the screen, its only a van so no big shakes with replacing the screen, but it did get me thinking, if that was my car,,,
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:00 pm I cant believe you went through all that,,,
Neither can I ! I got to the point were I didn't care anymore - took the booking turned up and waited for the copy windscreen to be inspected and rejected by the fitter.
I can't fault the guys that turned up - it was they who pointed out the slight distortion along the bottom edge and said if it was fitted I would notice it, so they actually did me a big favour in the long run as that would have annoyed the hell out of me forever.
Then they must have sent out their top guy when they realised what a fiasco it was turning into - he made one call to BMW and the OEM parts arrived the following week along with two AutoGlass vans and two of their top fitters.
911 997 Carrera S

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Wow, I'm just glad you finally got the right parts fitted - it would have annoyed you every day otherwise!

But it really shouldn't have been that much hassle to get there. :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Tomsdad

Post by Tomsdad » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:28 pm

Could I ask a stupid question please. Why was it so important to have a genuine BMW screen and gasket.
I ask as I need to replace mine at some point.
Many thanks
2007 3.0 Si
Montego Blue
Manual

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:46 pm

Tomsdad wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:28 pm Could I ask a stupid question please. Why was it so important to have a genuine BMW screen and gasket.
I ask as I need to replace mine at some point.
Many thanks
Good question - basically I had read various horror stories on the forum about poor quality seals - rippling up once fitted.
tbh I was ok with the copy windscreen and would have accepted the first one if it hadn't been distorted. But by the time it got to the 6th attempt I thought what the hell - I've waited this long if there is now a chance of the OEM windscreen I'm going to take it.
911 997 Carrera S

cerbera

Post by cerbera » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Blimey, what a palaver. Do you know the fool who cracked your windscreen in the first place?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 pm

cerbera wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:46 pm Blimey, what a palaver. Do you know the fool who cracked your windscreen in the first place?
yes :oops: :oops: :oops:
911 997 Carrera S

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 pm

I just purchased the seal myself from bmw then gave it to the fitter when he arrived to fit the non OEM glass on my 85 when I had it.

No problems.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈