Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Yawnnnnn ! Ok another Roof topic

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RROB

Post by RROB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:26 am

Firstly I have to say this is one on the best forums I've joined, just in the last few days and prior to purchasing the car have learnt far more than I expected and thankyou to fellow members who have giving me info and offers to help in regarding the typical issues most have had.....

Right here we go....

with some decent weather still due I couldn't wait any longer than to sort my roof out (2003 2.5) I bought the car knowing it had this problem but had been reading posts via this forum to say (I think that's a fairly easy.... ish fix)
Number 5 (again thanks) offered to sort..... and ahem ! might hopefully still do after this....

Ill not post everything.... but mainly to where I am...

Following pics info from others posts...

firstly I quickly accessed a faulty micro switch (bridged it for now)

I've accessed and removed the top cover of the pump enclosure....

Carefully lifted pump out.....

but for the like of jesus christ oh riley.... cannot budge the lower section !

its been mentioned of getting fingers below it (you must have tiny or deformed hands) if you can do that (ok no offence if you have) !! or pulling till you break clip....

I think the motor has been changed before and its looking good (hardly any water ingress no rust etc) my problem i beleive is the bypass valve..... as the Bowden cable doesn't budge....

I can only assume more ties must have been used previously...

Does any know if you can access this from elsewhere ? i.e. from behind passenger seat trims etc ?

And also has anyone got pics of the finshed (in situ) boot relocation ? do i hide it behind existing carpet trim etc..

ive fired off a couple of PMs to the regular guys, so apologies if they are reading this...... its just I'm just getting a tadge impatient in wanting to get it sorted....

I seem so bloody close but yet so far !

RROB

Post by RROB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Managed to get motor into boot....
cleaned up brass bypass pin (wasnt really too bad)...as i think motor has been changed at some time

if you press in the bypass pin, you can get some automatic movement opening (with help pushing it).....

it doesnt seat fully to the catch (falls short by about 10 mm)

But it will auto close from being opened as above.....

if you then try it again it doesnt open at all..... untill again you press bypass pin in again....

Do i need to adjust the pump pressure screws ? or is it likely to be pulling in air ?

bluepain

Post by bluepain » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:48 am

Sounds like a sticky bypass ,im having similar problems,I moved my pump to the boot assuming that it was water ingress that caused the roof to fail.
However if your motors spinning and you have limited movement,this points to the hydraulic part of the package,not the motor.
If the bypass is depressed and allowed to reset, and it works then its a sticky bypass valve.
The pump head adjustment screws wont change the fact that the bypassvalve isn't opperating correctly.
Hope this gives you a better idea of where your problem lies.

RROB

Post by RROB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks
After scouring endless posts I think I read that even when closing the roof should be smooth and controlled rather than dropping in from just over half way
Can the pin be removed in any way ? I still think it’s not coming out enough ?