Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Urgent Z4 Issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
laurieballard

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by laurieballard » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:56 am

Hey

So I bed the brakes and then went to start the car, she was in gear so duly jolted forward.

She then wouldn't start at all, just kept turning over. If I applied a lot of gas she eventually started but now sounds like a bag of sh1t and it not driveable.

This is a video of her idling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfJ9hXEgAg

What on earth have I done?

I don't understand what happened here. The ECU is throwing a Camshaft position sensor warning code but no others.

Thanks!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 pm

I don't know what's wrong, but I'd leave it switched off until you can arrange a tow truck to a reputable garage!
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

parabolica

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by parabolica » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Was it quite a violent jolt? If so it's possible something has dislodged or shifted in the engine. Agreed with mmm-five; keep it off until you can get it transported to an indy, or have a mechanic come take a look at it.

laurieballard

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by laurieballard » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Yeah was a fairly big jolt. She was in gear on the drive which is sloped and it lurched forward when I started it up.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by Jembo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Unlikely to have jumped a cog as believe it’s a chain cam belt - however, definitely a timing issue somewhere - I just hope u haven’t twisted something internal u shouldn’t to cause this
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

laurieballard

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by laurieballard » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 am

Mechanic is going to look at it this week but from the description, ECU error code and the fact its an N46 engine, he is almost certain the timing has gone out.

Best case its a re-time and likely replacement of the 'guides'? £350-£400.

Worst case its damaged valves and its strip down and rebuild time.

He seems to think the N46 engines have a reasonably common issue with their chain guides breaking so once this is sorted, I think she is going up for sale.

These older BMW engines (N42, N46, N47 etc) seem to have far too many chain issues considering what they cost. Don't get me wrong, all cars have known faults but rarely ones which tank the whole engine if they happen.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by MACK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am

laurieballard wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 am Mechanic is going to look at it this week but from the description, ECU error code and the fact its an N46 engine, he is almost certain the timing has gone out.

He seems to think the N46 engines have a reasonably common issue with their chain guides breaking so once this is sorted, I think she is going up for sale.

These older BMW engines (N42, N46, N47 etc) seem to have far too many chain issues considering what they cost. Don't get me wrong, all cars have known faults but rarely ones which tank the whole engine if they happen.
Your right about the N40/42 having a terrible reliability record and when it comes to to timing chain/tensioner/guide issues its more a case of when not if. On a more positive note the N42 is whats know as "a non interference engine" which basically means the valves and pistons cant come together so at least this shouldn't be a concern. Hopefully a new chain/guides/tensioner etc should put it right.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Silverzedtom

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 am

Was reading about timing issues on this engine in a mechanics magazine. Unfortunatley it seems fairly common :(
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

laurieballard

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by laurieballard » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 am

MACK wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am
laurieballard wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 am Mechanic is going to look at it this week but from the description, ECU error code and the fact its an N46 engine, he is almost certain the timing has gone out.

Your right about the N40/42 having a terrible reliability record and when it comes to to timing chain/tensioner/guide issues its more a case of when not if. On a more positive note the N42 is whats know as "a non interference engine" which basically means the valves and pistons cant come together so at least this shouldn't be a concern. Hopefully a new chain/guides/tensioner etc should put it right.
Hers is an N46, is this still a non interference engine?

Google suggests its not :S

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by MACK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm

laurieballard wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 am
MACK wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am

Hers is an N46, is this still a non interference engine?

Google suggests its not :S
Yes it's basically just a revised n42
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

laurieballard

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by laurieballard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:13 am

Hopefully you are all right and it is non interference, at least that way it may not cost as much to repair.

Still awaiting a call from the mechanic.

laurieballard

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by laurieballard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:54 am

Turns out the top guide had broken and allowed the chain to jump 3 teeth.

New guide and tensioner and she is back to normal.

Fortunately it did no damage to valves etc.

Cheers

wonkydonkey

Urgent Z4 Issue

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Huge sigh of relief for you then! Happy to hear that :D
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>