Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Really Rough Start- Motor shaking

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
2L8ULUZ

Post by 2L8ULUZ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Hello Gang,

Yesterday, I went to start my 03 E85 3.0 and the whole car started shaking with SEVERE misfiring...
I turned off the ignition, waited a few seconds and the re-started and all was fine....
No CEL- and again the car ran perfectly after restarting....

Recent Issues/Service: I just had the oil changed at an INDY in my area... Like 2 days prior to this...
Had a Fuel Pump wine about a month ago- thinking that this was bad gas... Ran a bottle techron and filled that tank with new fuel and it completely went away.
Changed spark plus 3 weeks ago... cleaned up slight missing at start-up with OEM's being in there at 94k miles…

The Z has only been driven 6k miles a year on average and was a retired persons toy... 2 owner
All service done at North Scottsdale BMW... Service history to best of my memory included a replacement spring, new drive belt, brakes and coolant flushed, brakes all 4 done at 30k and 75k.... basically the car was flawless and meticulous detail taken care of...

The car is an M-Sport Auto 3.0
95k miles

Can this be a fuel pump priming issue? Fuel Filter? at this mileage, I assume these wearable parts are starting to go?
Oil change, resulting in leaks in the air flow set up- checking filters etc.? This just happened 2 days after the oil change...

Really appreciate any input...

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:37 pm

The shaking is something mine did when a coil packed up. Car shuddered and mis-fired.

A trip to EuroCarParts and around. £20 later, all sorted.

That was getting on a year ago and no other failures since. I now keep a spare in the boot.

Note - I did experience a few bad starts before it finally packed up. Mine was similar mileage to yours when it failed

2L8ULUZ

Post by 2L8ULUZ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Thank you for the feedback....

How did you know what coil pack went out??

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAOZUA-Latest- ... nner&psc=1

I used one of those, I'm sure a bit of searching and you'll find them cheaper.

Other than that you could remove a coil lead at a time. A live coil lead removal will make the misfire worse. When you get to one that makes no change, that's the one :thumbsup:

Put up a location, someone nearby may have a reader and be able to assist.

2L8ULUZ

Post by 2L8ULUZ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm

A CEL will go off I assume if I let it just keep misfiring? that would tell me a cylinder

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:57 pm

I had this too. occasional lumpy running, gradually got worse over about two months, then engine fault light. Reset and all ok for a couple of days, then same again. I replaced all the coils (as if one is failing more are sure to follow) and plugs, no more problem. :driving:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang: