Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starter Motor Failure - now replaced

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Only posting this as it may help someone in the future.

Moved the Z4 off the drive this morning and noticed it was a bit lazy turning over, a bit like when a battery is dying, except mine is a new battery and a premium branded one at that. About half an hour later I went to put it back on the drive and noticed again it was lazy to turn over. Switched off and turned the music off to hear it properly turning over and now nothing, loads of power, roof opens and closes and all other electrics are working, but not turning over at all.

I suspect it's the starter motor but call the RAC, just in case it needs to be towed to the Indy I use. They turn up within half hour, give the starter a tap and we have life! I leave it running and drive to my Indy, 3 hours and £129 pound later I have a new starter motor that now turns over very quickly.

The starter is easily accessed and I could have changed it myself, however I had a heavy schedule today and all weekend, so Indy was the easiest option.

Mines a 53 plate 2.5.

olsonn

Post by olsonn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I had a similar problem myself on a very hot day. Called the AA who came out and did the old hammer trick which got it started. The thing was, I was the 3rd car that morning he had been out to with the same problem, he thought it might have been something to do with the heat

adam04

Post by adam04 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Mine went a few weeks ago, seen a few people lately on here with starter motor issues. Must have been built to last 15 years!
2003 E85 3.0i Auto Titanium Silver / Aerobody Kit / Cruise / Xenons / Cupholders....

Mighty1

Post by Mighty1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 am

Strange that 15 yearsthing my 2003 2.5 auto in Maldives blue had same problem about a fortnight after turning 15 in June
Starting motor grinding sound then nothing called out breakdown via insurance taken to garage 150 quid Bosch starter motor fitted sounds totally different when starting now not sluggish on start
Geot
Previous
Z4 2.0 M sport
Porsche Boxster
SLk 3.5
MK1 Mx5
Currently z2.5 Auto exclusive Maldives blue

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Very strange all these starter motors failing mine went very recently also maybe it’s the heat or something more bmw sinister :rofl:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills