Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Window not going up or down

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
greg81

Post by greg81 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Popped my windows down today and the driver's side there was a loud clunk and it closed automatically

I think the glass has become disconnected from the regulator. The motor seems to turn when I press the switch but the window I can push up and down by hand

Does it sound like the bolts maybe came loose and lost connection rather than a bigger failure? I'll try take it apart at the weekend

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Sounds like the window regulator. Had the same happen to me a few weeks back.

It's a pain in the arse to fit the first time.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1057306834
A Dirty M///

greg81

Post by greg81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks for the info. Took a quick look at a couple of vids on YouTube and yer not wrong!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi greg81, my passenger window did exactly the same, I have removed the regulator and the repair kit has arrived, guess what I'm doing tomorrow morning?. I'll post how it goes if your interested.
Rgds Mark.
2007 Montegoblau 2.5 si SE convertible.

greg81

Post by greg81 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Mark R wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm Hi greg81, my passenger window did exactly the same, I have removed the regulator and the repair kit has arrived, guess what I'm doing tomorrow morning?. I'll post how it goes if your interested.
Rgds Mark.
Oh nice. Plenty of pics please :)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 pm

You’ll need something like this to put the regulator back together.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-roof ... pack/5213j

Annoyingly they don’t supply in the kits.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Sorry greg81, did not take any pics (i know my apologies) but if you search on here and on you tube you can find lots of how to videos.
A fiddly job, not helped by the kit I had having the wrong handed white cable drum in it, that caused a bit of head scratching, had to use the old drum in the end thankfully it was in good nick. What would I say to anyone else (get someone else to do it, no not that bad) take care with the door trim clips these break easily on removal and refitting. remove the regulator and set it out with the old cables etc on a flat surface and take a picture to ensure you get the new cables back on correctly. As mentioned you have to drill out the rivets on the cable drum holder and you will need 3 off 6mm bolts to refit. the tricky bit is winding the cable onto the drum as you have to do both ends and you may have a bit of trial and error to get the amount of cable onto the drum correct. Once its all built back up take your time getting it back into the door, my method was the rear most rail first, check your window is positioned correctly in the front runner. My only adjustment required was at the very bottom bolt the one you get at through the bottom of the door, this adjustment seals the glass against the top door seal. You will have to do the window reset, again the procedure is easy to search for on here and on YT, SAFETY bit remember you will have to disconnect the door air bag module, only disconnect and re-connect this with the battery disconnected. If you do your own maintenance and are ok with your hands this is quite ok to do, just fiddly and time consuming.
2007 Montegoblau 2.5 si SE convertible.

greg81

Post by greg81 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Great, thanks for the info! I've still not managed to get a part on order but will make a point of it this weekend!

rhobson_897

Post by rhobson_897 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I realise this thread is completed, but didnt want to start yet another thread about window regulators on here!

I have attempted to repair my window regulator today, but have run into issues...

So I replaced the whole assembly last year, found an assembly online for £50 so decided to just bin the old one (wish I hadnt now).

It broke again fairly recently, and I've been putting it off for a while, but now it needs attention, so I bought a repair kit on ebay for £8. But the plastic spool doesnt fit... (It's too big, I'm wondering if the assembly I bought last year is from asia or usa and maybe thats why theres a mismatch). Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Does this sound possible, where can I find a repair kit that suits my assembly?

For now I have managed to wedge the window closed, and have ordered a spare assembly from ebay. But would like to know the above!! Also the plastic/metal sleeve on the glass window has snapped on mine, anyone know if these can be bought online somewhere too?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 pm

TBH I'd only buy this from a UK seller if buying through eBay. One because it will get here a lot quicker, and teo hopefully it's more likely to be correct.

£8 saounds too cheap. Thnik I paid about £16-17 quid for mine a couple of years ago.

Quick search throws these up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-R ... Sw~Bha-vzh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-R ... SwJVda-vzT

If the cable loengths you have look OK then use your existing spool.

peterh

Post by peterh » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:07 pm

I replaced my drivers door with the new spool kit last week only to find the one I ordered on ebay for £7.99 the spool was also too big.Money refunded I then ordered from ADL Components on ebay for £15.99 and it was fine.

skelters

Post by skelters » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 pm

I had the window regulator replace on mine at the stealers earlier this year.

£358 for a two hour job that took 4 hours. That and had to go back to get it adjusted as they'd obviously done hee haw to check it.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!