Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension bush replacement cost

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
C58

Post by C58 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Hey all,

Got the lady MOT,ed today and she's failed sadly. :thumbsdown: After 3 years of ownership and her just touching 100k miles it was to be expectedly I guess.

So I failed on the below
Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn offside front lower(rear or arm) [5.4.3(a)(I)]

I've searches the forum but haven't been able to find anyone who's had this failure.

I'm totally inept when it comes to these sorts of things but wondered if anyone could give me a ball park of what a garage would charge for this, the garage were very busy so they're not calling me back till tomorrow. much appreciated thanks!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Bit vague that failure description. If it's the rear "lollipop" Bush, then that's a 15 min job to do both, BUT avoid the no name cheapies on ebay as they don't last 5 mins. Personally, I replace the bushes with MeyleHD. If it's the ball joint, then new arms are needed. Again, avoid the cheap stuff.

Mike

C58

Post by C58 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the reply, the garage from my understanding won't do replacements with ebay cheapies. Assuming new arms are needed (I'm guessing that's the bigger of the jobs) what sort of cost would you think would be fair for parts & labour?

C58

Post by C58 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Slight edit to the above, garage called and the guy said they're the rear bushes that are made of rubber? he said they order them in twin packs, he's quoted £216 for the parts and labour, reckons I can replace the one the needs replacing and keep the spare for when that needs to be done.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Sounds like the front control arms, it's a bit steep and at that price might as well do both. The bushings are about £60 for the pair.

Though the arms will probably be tired too, so if you're paying someone just do both the arms and be done with it. It should take about 10 mins longer, but I'd expect them to add another hour on... The arms and bushings are about £200.

You can do it on a jack stands in an hour and a half going slowly the first time.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

G600

Post by G600 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:05 pm

C58 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 pm Slight edit to the above, garage called and the guy said they're the rear bushes that are made of rubber? he said they order them in twin packs, he's quoted £216 for the parts and labour, reckons I can replace the one the needs replacing and keep the spare for when that needs to be done.
Might as well so them both at the same time, they can make quite a difference so I would like to have one new and one old.
E85 3.0

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 am

From driveway experience, the arms were a pain in the arse to change. Not because they're hard to change per se, but the stud that attaches to the wheel hub in an interference fit, so thanks to them being 13 years old and 100k miles worth of water splashing it, it was rusted to all hell.

Took an hour or thereabouts either side using a MAPP torch, ball joint pullers and pickle forks with a 4lb club hammer to get them to break loose, not a job I want to face again!

I'd expect a garage would have an oxy torch and air chisel to break it loose mind, so significantly less work.