Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What'sgoinonerethen?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Courageous

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by Courageous » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Started car got the lower orange, guess a lamp out somewhere. Then the middle one orange then changed to red. Then orange triangular one on right. Then top red (brakes?). Short journey (4 minutes). Stopped and put code reader on and nothing.

Any ideas and safe to drive?

Pfft! Or Aaaaargh! Is a 2.0L E85

Thx - Ian
z4 warning ights.jpeg
z4 warning ights.jpeg (156.01 KiB) Viewed 739 times

greg81

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by greg81 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:45 pm

If the 3 were orange it would suggest ABS/DSC related but I've not seen the 2 in red before.

Have you done any work on the car recently

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 pm

One of those red lights (the lower one) looks like it's for the TPMS - do you have a puncture?

The other red looks like it's brake related.

Just a thought but is your battery heading towards the end of it's life? You can get some strange electrical issues when they are getting tired.

Hope it doesn't take too much sorting. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zoomer

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 pm

I am no expert but sometimes there's a ring on the axle that's used for things like the tpms and anti lock brakes etc and when it rusts it grows and can give that sort of error. Had similar on an older X3
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Courageous

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by Courageous » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 am

greg81 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:45 pm If the 3 were orange it would suggest ABS/DSC related but I've not seen the 2 in red before.

Have you done any work on the car recently
Hmm, no not really. Playing about with the Secondary air system only.

Courageous

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by Courageous » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:04 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 pm One of those red lights (the lower one) looks like it's for the TPMS - do you have a puncture?

The other red looks like it's brake related.

Just a thought but is your battery heading towards the end of it's life? You can get some strange electrical issues when they are getting tired.

Hope it doesn't take too much sorting. :thumbsup:
No puncture but will check pressures tomorrow thx. Battery - well a mechanic I had doing some work after I bought her said he changed the battery but....... She seems slow on the turnover sometimes so worth a check thanks.

Courageous

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by Courageous » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:05 am

Zoomer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 pm I am no expert but sometimes there's a ring on the axle that's used for things like the tpms and anti lock brakes etc and when it rusts it grows and can give that sort of error. Had similar on an older X3
This is a maybe I suppose. Thx.

Courageous

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by Courageous » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 am

Ok so one by one they went out with the exception of the "Lights" one. I wonder if I brought this all about by starting before the system completed it's self check? One further odd thing though coming home from work tonight. Some plank was coming at me going the wrong way down the dual carriageway. I hammered the brakes and the little oil lamp glowed yellow....... Shut off and then restarted and it didn't return. Most peculiar!

Thanks for all the help guys!

mjennings23

What'sgoinonerethen?

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Get the codes read, if there was an issue it will have a historic code stored in the memory.