Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gutted!! Roof has just stopped working all of a sudden

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Aranshaw

Post by Aranshaw » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm

My second z4 and the second time this has happend to me, the roof has stopped going down! The roof unlatches and then nothing, anyone know anyone how can fix this near cambridge or the like?

No warning signs at all, put the roof down on way to pub, came out to put it down again and it wouldnt, just coundt belive it.

Cheers! :|
BMW Z4 E85, 06, 2.5 SI

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Aranshaw wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm My second z4 and the second time this has happend to me, the roof has stopped going down! The roof unlatches and then nothing, anyone know anyone how can fix this near cambridge or the like?

No warning signs at all, put the roof down on way to pub, came out to put it down again and it wouldnt, just coundt belive it.

How often have you been checking the roof drains? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:15 pm

You might want to jump into this thread it might develop into a big roof fixing session:thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105729

Aranshaw

Post by Aranshaw » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:12 pm
Aranshaw wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm My second z4 and the second time this has happend to me, the roof has stopped going down! The roof unlatches and then nothing, anyone know anyone how can fix this near cambridge or the like?

Rob
I didnt check them sadly as I thought t woulnt be affected in the summer, i did have a car wash the other day maybe that did it.
BMW Z4 E85, 06, 2.5 SI

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Aranshaw wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Rob
I didnt check them sadly as I thought t woulnt be affected in the summer, i did have a car wash the other day maybe that did it.
Assuming it could be a drowned roof motor, it could have been partly immersed in the winter & just flaked out now, they are prone to it as it’s a bit of a design flaw-if you get it relocated to the boot it won’t happen again.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Dave 2 dogs

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi aranshaw
I’m in same predicament at the moment
I’m meeting up with bowser on Monday evening so he can hopefully revive and relocate my moter
He’s in Surrey.... PM him if you’re within distance , im in Essex. There’s a few guys on here that do this miracle work .... Money well spent in my book 👍
Let us know how it goes, I’m hoping to be coming home from Surrey with my roof down Monday evening 😃

MT94

Post by MT94 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:53 am

Probably the roof motor sitting in water for too long I cleared my drains once a month until one day I decided to try and get my hand down into where the motor sits and sure enough full of water even though I checked and the drains were clear, so I spent about 3 hours laying in the boot not fun at 6,2 but I managed to clip all the cable ties holding it in and gently pull the motor out poured all the water out I’m surprised how much water it can hold that and the foam insulation acting as a sponge, once I had it out I left it to dry out sprayed it with WD40 and cleaned off the surface rust then mounted it in the boot boxed it in covered with boot carpet now you’d never know that it wasn’t meant to be there all along. Hope you get it sorted and get back to enjoying this weather we are having.

Matt.
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:45 am

MT94 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:53 am Probably the roof motor sitting in water for too long I cleared my drains once a month until one day I decided to try and get my hand down into where the motor sits and sure enough full of water even though I checked and the drains were clear, so I spent about 3 hours laying in the boot not fun at 6,2 but I managed to clip all the cable ties holding it in and gently pull the motor out poured all the water out I’m surprised how much water it can hold that and the foam insulation acting as a sponge, once I had it out I left it to dry out sprayed it with WD40 and cleaned off the surface rust then mounted it in the boot boxed it in covered with boot carpet now you’d never know that it wasn’t meant to be there all along. Hope you get it sorted and get back to enjoying this weather we are having.

Matt.
Just checking the drain outlet underneath the car isn’t enough, you need to check it’s flowing out from the top by pouring a small amount of water in at the rear/side of the roof :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

MT94

Post by MT94 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Every time I wash the car the water used to pour out from the drain holes the problem was that the motor housing clearly had been opened before and not sealed properly so the water was also collecting in the house you can imagine my surprise when it was half full with water :o still nice and dry now should never see another drop of water in its life :thumbsup:

Matt.

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:45 am
MT94 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:53 am Probably the roof motor sitting in water for too long I cleared my drains once a month until one day I decided to try and get my hand down into where the motor sits and sure enough full of water even though I checked and the drains were clear, so I spent about 3 hours laying in the boot not fun at 6,2 but I managed to clip all the cable ties holding it in and gently pull the motor out poured all the water out I’m surprised how much water it can hold that and the foam insulation acting as a sponge, once I had it out I left it to dry out sprayed it with WD40 and cleaned off the surface rust then mounted it in the boot boxed it in covered with boot carpet now you’d never know that it wasn’t meant to be there all along. Hope you get it sorted and get back to enjoying this weather we are having.

Matt.
Just checking the drain outlet underneath the car isn’t enough, you need to check it’s flowing out from the top by pouring a small amount of water in at the rear/side of the roof :thumbsup:
Rob
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver

Chriz4

Post by Chriz4 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Another check would be the air bag ECU under the centre console. Depending on which variant you have, like on mine you can remove the coin pocket behind the hand brake PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST! Then unplug the connectors to the airbag ECU if there wet leave u plugged to dry out . Recconect your battery and try the roof once more? Another bmw design flaw! I thought it was the GM 5 module located behind the glove box but every time it rained either windscreen wipers wouldn’t work and the dash lights were out or the roof wouldn’t work ? Case of suck it and see!! Good luck !