Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Diff issue, help please

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
synthedup

Diff issue, help please

Post by synthedup » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 am

Hi guys,

I have developed a clunk from the diff which has slowly gotten worse.

The garage says it is coming from inside the diff and not the input flange thing that people grease??

My question is, will a diff from any e85/86 fit? mine is a 2006 2.0i.

I have seen a diffs on ebay from a 2004 which is pretty local to me with low mileage.

I'm not sure what effect changing the ratio will have.

Thanks,
Simon

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Diff issue, help please

Post by markplant » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 am

Could it be the coupling
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Diff issue, help please

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am

LSD time, seeing as it has to come off anyway
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Wafoo

Diff issue, help please

Post by Wafoo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:00 pm

The diffs are different, the 2.5 and 3.0 have the same halfshaft bolt sizings to the diff but the 2.0 and 2.2 have smaller, not sure if the rest of the 2.2 will fit but you could get diff and driveshafts off a 2.5 or 3.0 and swap the lot out, did mine for less than £200
The diff change takes about 5 hours or so and is fairly straightforward
Just noticed you're from my old hometown, I'm from Greasbrough :)
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

Silverzedtom

Diff issue, help please

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:17 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am LSD time, seeing as it has to come off anyway
+1. Obviously more expensive than a 2nd hand oem but it’s one of few areas where the z4 lets itself down imo
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

rally-chris

Diff issue, help please

Post by rally-chris » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am LSD time, seeing as it has to come off anyway
LSD on a 2.0? I doubt it's worth the extra expense!!
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Diff issue, help please

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:55 pm

rally-chris wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm LSD on a 2.0? I doubt it's worth the extra expense!!
si snobbery :P if the 2.0 can get the TC working then it's worth it. If you're paying someone to swap a diff out then it's only the upfront cost of the LSD that is extra, minus the potential resale value of the LSD.

I had weeping seals so went for it. Hands down the best mod on the car.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Markos_Z4

Diff issue, help please

Post by Markos_Z4 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:18 am

i got the same problem clunk noise very annoying feels like the diff bush is worn out. . . hitting subframe or something :?
in reverse and pull-up at low speed . . . and wen i push the clutch down fast :(
next month i know more
M-Front & M-Rear Bumper / Aero Skirts / 9J + 10.0J 20 inch Barracuda Voltec T6 gloss black inox Lip / Custom Quad Exhaust / Gloss Black Painted Roof / Gloss Black Painted front Lip / M-Sport Suspension / M-interior

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/markos_z4/

Markos_Z4

Diff issue, help please

Post by Markos_Z4 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:28 am

is this z4 coupe 3.0si common problem ?
shaft seal and grease
ive read about it maybe this is the problem : https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e86- ... id/G1QIRFK
M-Front & M-Rear Bumper / Aero Skirts / 9J + 10.0J 20 inch Barracuda Voltec T6 gloss black inox Lip / Custom Quad Exhaust / Gloss Black Painted Roof / Gloss Black Painted front Lip / M-Sport Suspension / M-interior

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/markos_z4/

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Diff issue, help please

Post by GuidoK » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:33 am

Getting a clunk from within the diff without whine or grinding noises is fairly unlikely.

Clunks can come from worn bushings, worn centerbearing, loose centerbearing, and of course driveline play when shifting from reverse to foreward (the gearbox alone as about half a turn play stock).
Only way to find out is getting it on the lift and getting your hands dirty, or pay someone to do the work for you of course.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch