Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Pierberg water pump - same as originally fitted ?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
charlie8

Post by charlie8 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi

Can see these are the OEM parts to fit, however my question is, have these been modified from the original spec and so due to have the same lifetime as first installed ( which seems to be roughly 60K as a rough average ) or did the design improve via different mods, so that now these are more robust ?

I recall plastic veins were superseded with metal, but that that issues too - or and I am dreaming

Does fitting a new one of these today make the N52 engine more reliable regards sudden overheat and all the nightmares that goes with that .. or not

Regards
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm

charlie8 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 pm Hi

Can see these are the OEM parts to fit, however my question is, have these been modified from the original spec and so due to have the same lifetime as first installed ( which seems to be roughly 60K as a rough average ) or did the design improve via different mods, so that now these are more robust ?

I recall plastic veins were superseded with metal, but that that issues too - or and I am dreaming

Does fitting a new one of these today make the N52 engine more reliable regards sudden overheat and all the nightmares that goes with that .. or not

Regards
Hi, I think 60k is a bit pessimistic as they seem to reach 70k+ more typically. The plastic/metal veins were an issue with the early mechanical pumps (m54) as far as I’m aware & not the electronic ones (n52)
Even if the design is unchanged you should get ten years or so before it fails and a new replacement is around £200 these days if you avoid the bmw dealer.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm

mine reached 90k and was still fine.. only changed as precautionary preventative maintenance
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 pm

As above mine was changed at 100k and ten years. So it's really not that unreliable
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

charlie8

Post by charlie8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks, very interesting

Mine crossed 10 yrs a few months ago, ~80K , so will put in a new one in the Autumn when I will change the coolant anyway

Be nice to know why they fail, sounds like the electrics just give up, but wonder why/how - as a 'mass' issue, I might try the google

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:51 pm

charlie8 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm Be nice to know why they fail, sounds like the electrics just give up, but wonder why/how - as a 'mass' issue, I might try the google
Unlikely to find anything over and above the investigation I did back in September last year... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99913
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

charlie8

Post by charlie8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm

So you did, looks like a very 'black box' story

Plenty of surveys out there revealing fail mileage, even one on this forum, but all seem inconclusive and a random spread, and as you seem to have found, there is no audit trail on the cause to help guide prevention. Although data suggests the engines are quite robust, not many die following such a sauna

Every car/engine has its weak points I guess and given BMW have never listed a service/warranty amendment to change the pump on mileage/time or fund fail repairs to stop a brand/model rage from owners, it still must be seen by them as rare enough normal wear item. Also why I started the thread originally, there is not an obvious design flaw to instigate a mkII version etc

Makes me wonder if the tornado rad fan ( if you ramp it to max in diag tool, it'll blow the garage apart ) was there for a reason to indeed stop any permanent scars post fail given its a binary fail point, not a mechanical ramp down

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm

charlie8 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm Makes me wonder if the tornado rad fan ( if you ramp it to max in diag tool, it'll blow the garage apart ) was there for a reason to indeed stop any permanent scars post fail given its a binary fail point, not a mechanical ramp down
...problem is, it doesn't matter how much air the rad fan pumps through the radiator if the coolant is not circulating.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.