Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 refuses to sleep

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
metrogtiguy

E85 refuses to sleep

Post by metrogtiguy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 am

Long story short, our 05' Z4 2.5 has been rock solid until a couple of weeks ago. Garage kept, 60k miles, never seen snow. Now, out of nowhere, when you pull the key, all of the lights turn off, and about 10 seconds later, the car wakes back up. Headlights are on, dash lights are on, radio comes on, everything. I found some issues people were having with water getting into the airbag module connections. So, I pulled the center console, removed it, found some corrosion. Cleaned it up, cleaned the wiring harness and soaked the harness end in some vinegar to remove the corrosion, and neutralized it with some baking soda and water. Nice and shiny and new now. But, the problem still exists. Took the car to a friend who has a diag tool, and read the codes in every module. There was a "Short to ground" code in the ACSM, and we cleared it(Probably because of the water penetration). No more codes in any modules. We cleared them out of all 20 modules listed in his tool. When we turned it off, the lights pop right back on again, it still refuses to go to sleep. Has anyone seen this before? Is the ACSM toast, and angering the GM? On a side note, the initial drain killed the battery, so it now has a brand new battery.

wonkydonkey

E85 refuses to sleep

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 am

It would be handy if you could swap your ACSM for a known working one to see if that fixed it. Whereabouts are you in the country? A forum member nearby might be willing to let you try theirs?
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

metrogtiguy

E85 refuses to sleep

Post by metrogtiguy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 am

Probably should have put that in my profile huh, haha. I'm just outside of Detroit. A known working ACSM would be a huuuuge help. The diag computer says it's working fine, but the symptoms say otherwise :)

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

E85 refuses to sleep

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am

How strange. My sat nav unit refuses to turn off. Pull the key and it's constantly buzzing and working away. Opening and closing the doors sends it loopy. Locking the car with the remote and it still goes off on one. What is this ACSM module? Might have to check this out. Didn't think it was an issue.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

metrogtiguy

E85 refuses to sleep

Post by metrogtiguy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:40 pm

So, apparently there's a wild variant of what people call these online, haha. The scan tool calls it the ACSM, but it's labeled "SIM" for Safety Information Module. It's located under the center console, and is a mutha to remove.

Removing the center console
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm

Removing SIM
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm