Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another roof issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
WelshWills

Another roof issue

Post by WelshWills » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:03 pm

I know roof issues have been done to death on here and reading through some old posts it appears there are a number of scenarios.
I now have an issue with mine, so I thought I would explain my situation in the hope someone can offer an explanation.
Roof had been working fine up until a few days ago. I decided to take my daughter camping over the weekend and we packed the boot to the rafters with our camp related stuff! Good time was had and on the way home I attempted to open the roof. The following happened :-

Pressed button
Windows lowered
Roof unlatched only I.e. Did not fold back
Button flashed
Pressed button to close roof
Roof latched
I think I'm right in saying Windows remained down

It seems a coincidence that this has happened since I packed the boot out, but I've checked the shelf, seems ok and in right position, the red pull ring for manual operation seems to be in correct position. I've checked the fuses, all ok.
I'm obviously hoping its not the dreaded motor.
Thanks in advance.

wonkydonkey

Another roof issue

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Can you turn the two black knobs to raise your shelf to its higher position (to expose the switch), manually activate the switch with your finger and then get your daughter to press the "roof lower" button? This will just kick things off by ruling out the switch actuation being a potential issue. As you say, it seems a bit coincidental that it follows packing the boot.

Also, what colour is the flashing light? If orange, it's the shelf switch.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

WelshWills

Another roof issue

Post by WelshWills » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi WD.
Sounds like a good place to start, I'll try that tomorrow. The flashing light is red.
Thanks for your quick reply.

wonkydonkey

Another roof issue

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Red light means your shelf switch is probably not the issue then. Do you get any noise at all from the main roof motor or just silence after the latches disengage?
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Lance

Another roof issue

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 pm

If your roof unlatches and/or the windows drop, then it's NOT the boot micro switch. A duff switch or shelf in wrong position means no roof action whatsoever.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Another roof issue

Post by Number5 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:34 am

Hi Welshwills.

I'm assuming that there is no sound of the motor running after the unlatching takes place ? In which case it does sound like the motor has died.

The good news is that having only just failed, its probably reviveable.

I'm in Bristol and happy to look at it and relocate it at the same time. Just drop me a PM if you wish to go down that route ?
Alan
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

WelshWills

Another roof issue

Post by WelshWills » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Just an update.
Re checked sequence today and the roof definitely unlatches/latches, the windows lower and do actually raise (originally thought they didnt), the button to open the roof has a steady red light when activated and flashes red once you take your finger off it, and there is no noise once the roof unlatches. Roof remains in situ! Frustrating.
Alan. Thank you for your kind offer, but I live in North Wales so distance a bit of an issue at the moment. If things change i'll pm you.
In the meantime any other ideas out there or do I have to face the fact that the motor is no more...it has ceased to be!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Another roof issue

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 pm

As you are in North Wales OP, ducklakeview might be nearer to you - I think he is based in Warrington now, and revives and relocates roof motors (among many other things)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Another roof issue

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 pm As you are in North Wales OP, ducklakeview might be nearer to you - I think he is based in Warrington now, and revives and relocates roof motors (among many other things)!
Yup, no problem at all doing that for you in about 40 mins, including relocating the motor so it won't get wet again.

I'm based 2 mins from J23 M6 so straight up the 56 for you.

Mike

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Another roof issue

Post by Number5 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:56 pm

WelshWills wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm Alan. Thank you for your kind offer, but I live in North Wales so distance a bit of an issue at the moment. If things change i'll pm you.
Ah, I was assuming you were South Wales, sorry ! Yes, Mike will be far closer for you.
It does sound like the typical failed motor.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

WelshWills

Another roof issue

Post by WelshWills » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:10 pm

No worries Alan, again thanks for your feedback.

WelshWills

Another roof issue

Post by WelshWills » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Well, had my roof motor sorted and relocated into the boot this morning by Mike (Ducklakeview). Quick, neat and tidy job at a very reasonable price. Fully recommend Mike, clearly very skiĺled and knowledgeable. Top man, thanks Mike.