Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Juddering when cold

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RenoRaines

Juddering when cold

Post by RenoRaines » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:29 am

Hi,
2004, manual, 70k miles. When the car is cold and I'm moving from a stand still the car judders rather violently. It happens on clutch's biting point. I've tried doing it with handbrake on and it doesn't happen. Only when the car starts moving I hear judder/jumping and clunking from the rear. Could be the clutch (flywheel) or something in the rear. Bearing? Driveshaft bushing?

Silverzedtom

Juddering when cold

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:39 am

RenoRaines wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:29 am Hi,
2004, manual, 70k miles. When the car is cold and I'm moving from a stand still the car judders rather violently. It happens on clutch's biting point. I've tried doing it with handbrake on and it doesn't happen. Only when the car starts moving I hear judder/jumping and clunking from the rear. Could be the clutch (flywheel) or something in the rear. Bearing? Driveshaft bushing?
sounds like a slipping clutch IMO.
Try moving off slowly using only the clutch. If it doesn’t do it I’d forget about it. No signs of slippage once up to temp?
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

RenoRaines

Juddering when cold

Post by RenoRaines » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:10 am

Just to give a feedback on the issue.
No signs of slippage or whatsoever. I got a 'tip' to drag a clutch a bit. And the problem mysteriously went away. Supposedly there are some clutch deposits which stick to the flywheel. And dragging a clutch (one time only) would kinda 'clean' flywheel's surface.
Though the clutch is not new and has 70k on it. That would also be a factor.