Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I am confused.com...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Kav

I am confused.com...

Post by Kav » Thu May 31, 2018 7:43 am

Morning All

As I get to know my new acquisition better, I’m discovering some strange behaviours which I could do with some help on:

- The stereo volume button doesn’t work as advertised and occasionally changes radio stations :x
- The car has Bluetooth fitted and whatever method I try (tried every single article on the interweb), I cannot get my phone (iPhone 7) to pair up. Last time I had a go, the ‘activate pairing’ message appeared first in French and then in German :!:
- Sat nav’s showing the car’s position in the middle of Bristol, about 30 miles from where I live :headbang: This one’s less important as I mostly use Google Maps to get to places I’m not familiar with.
- I’d like to program the car so I can open and close the roof using the key fob. I fitted a Gaptech on my other Z4 and it’s great kit but if the same thing can be achieved with a software fix, that’d be my preference.

Will a software update sort this lot out? We’ve got two good independent guys close to home but I’m an obsessive fiddler and fancy getting my own kit. I’ve tried a cheap setup off the web and despite claims of a one click setup, it’s anything but and it’s the closest my PC has ever been to imitating a discuss at the Olympic Games :telloff:

Cruise control and aux in to fit this weekend so no doubt I’ll be back with some more questions.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Kav
"Nix fur bremser!"
Present - '06 3.0Si auto, Monaco Blue metallic, cream hide, anthracite chrome line, hi-fi loudspeaker system, bi-xenons, PDC, CC, aux in, Gap Tech.
Past - '05 3.0 auto, Maldives Blue, tan hide, sat nav, mem seats, PDC.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

I am confused.com...

Post by markplant » Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 am

Regarding the roof, it can be programmed but you have to press an hold the open or close button until it's finished moving
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Kav

I am confused.com...

Post by Kav » Thu May 31, 2018 8:03 am

Thx Mark :thumbsup:
"Nix fur bremser!"
Present - '06 3.0Si auto, Monaco Blue metallic, cream hide, anthracite chrome line, hi-fi loudspeaker system, bi-xenons, PDC, CC, aux in, Gap Tech.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

I am confused.com...

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 am

The sat nav is easily fixed, by buying a antenna off ebay for about £10, and it fits behind the overhead courtesy lights, I have just done this on my sons E85, took 15 minutes to fit,

The foreign language is where someone has bought an update disc off the net
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Kav

I am confused.com...

Post by Kav » Thu May 31, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks Rusty

Saw a 'how to' post on that which may have been yours. Do you know how to access the hidden menu which shows satellites locked on?

Re the language glitch, the first 3 times 'activate pairing' came up in English, then swapped to German and has stuck on French.

Cheers
Kav
"Nix fur bremser!"

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

I am confused.com...

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:17 pm

If memory serves me right, you just press and hold the menu button for 8 seconds,

When I changed the sat nav aerial, I checked this and it showed satellites locked on, but had me in the middle of the channel, obvoulsey something not working, I changed as I said the antenna and works perfectly.

And even in French if you follow the pairing process it should work, with the E85 it is a bit of hit and miss and you might have to do it a few times before it works
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Zoomer

I am confused.com...

Post by Zoomer » Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm

I couldn't be bothered to route mine back above the windscreen so tried it above the drop door in the centre console. It works a treat and just 2 screws to get at it. It's also of eBay .
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

I am confused.com...

Post by MACK » Thu May 31, 2018 1:52 pm

If you want to have a play with various setting in a quick and easy format then the Carly App is about as easy to use as it gets. It will program the roof and a host of other things. But as has already been said it wont be one touch ala Gaptech, it will be press and hold.
The bluetooth issue is a well known issue when paring with the newer phones. I think some folks have fitted bluetooth modules from later BMW's to get around this. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Kav

I am confused.com...

Post by Kav » Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks All and Mack, that Carly App looks pretty good. I've ordered a Rheinhold Gold on a money back guarantee basis so if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, I'll send it back and reinvest :thumbsup:
"Nix fur bremser!"

Nelly Welly

I am confused.com...

Post by Nelly Welly » Thu May 31, 2018 9:48 pm

I brought the Rhine gold version and have had zero success in getting it to talk to,anything let alone my damn car !,,,, :headbang: :headbang: :tumbleweed:
Lost in space, found in a dustbin........

2005 Z4 2.2
2011 318 d Estate Recalled and repaired - Update: Turbo blown new one about to get fitted.... :headbang:
2008 2.0d Mondeo Estate Gone but not forgotten
2008 TDV6 Discovery 3 HSE

Kav

I am confused.com...

Post by Kav » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:03 am

:o
Okeydokey. In the meantime, wish me luck :D
"Nix fur bremser!"

Kav

I am confused.com...

Post by Kav » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Nelly Welly wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:48 pm I brought the Rhine gold version and have had zero success in getting it to talk to,anything let alone my damn car !,,,, :headbang: :headbang: :tumbleweed:
...and how right you were! Got it talking to the car but what the heck you're meant to do beyond that, only the bloke who sold it knows. Carly, here I come :driving:
"Nix fur bremser!"

Kav

I am confused.com...

Post by Kav » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:20 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 am The sat nav is easily fixed, by buying a antenna off ebay for about £10, and it fits behind the overhead courtesy lights, I have just done this on my sons E85, took 15 minutes to fit,

The foreign language is where someone has bought an update disc off the net
I disconnected the battery to fit cruise control a while back and that seems to have sorted the problem out :thumbsup:
"Nix fur bremser!"

McKoval

I am confused.com...

Post by McKoval » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am

MACK wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:52 pm The bluetooth issue is a well known issue when paring with the newer phones. I think some folks have fitted bluetooth modules from later BMW's to get around this. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this.
Holy tread revival!

Can anyone point me in direction, which newer modules are compatible with e85 ulf?
You mean searching for ULF HW_13, or adapting a module from a newer BMW model?