Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air con blowing warm air, radiator fan not spinning?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 am

My car did this on Monday. I had a quite uncomfortable 5am start/2hr drive with the roof down it was so hot. Did some searches and one post said to start engine, switch of auto and turn the temp control all the way up and down a few times. I did it with the fan knob too... and the bloody thing started working perfectly again. I have no idea if it’s actually fixed though, so it’s still going to my indie tomorrow for a check up.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 am

Bing wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 am I had a quite uncomfortable 5am start/2hr drive with the roof down it was so hot.
That sounds like fun. :D

Motorway though, I’m guessing?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 am

MrPT wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 am
Bing wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 am I had a quite uncomfortable 5am start/2hr drive with the roof down it was so hot.
That sounds like fun. :D

Motorway though, I’m guessing?
Yeah, which is why it was uncomfortable. I quite like my air conditioned cocoon that early in the morning. On the way home after a long day it’s fine, roof down tunes up 8)
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Did you get to the bottom of this yet Paul?
(I’m after reassurance it ain’t the fan so I don’t have to deal with the guilt of stealing your fan of you the other month :oops: ).

It’s on mine now by the way. Despite the matching part number it wasn’t quite the same as the original one, but the guy that fitted it for me just took it apart and swapped all the gubbins into the old shroud/bracket and it’s all good.

Thanks mate. Hope you solve this (and hoping the outcome means you are not ruing the day you sold me your spare fan!).

Rich.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:13 am

Rich8 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:42 pm Did you get to the bottom of this yet Paul?
(I’m after reassurance it ain’t the fan so I don’t have to deal with the guilt of stealing your fan of you the other month :oops: ).

It’s on mine now by the way. Despite the matching part number it wasn’t quite the same as the original one, but the guy that fitted it for me just took it apart and swapped all the gubbins into the old shroud/bracket and it’s all good.

Thanks mate. Hope you solve this (and hoping the outcome means you are not ruing the day you sold me your spare fan!).

Rich.
Hi Rich,

Glad you got it sorted but apologies for the part number confusion! That fan has been test fitted to two Z4s successfully - a 2.5si and 3.0si. I cannot remember what model you have but it might be worth posting, because a lot of people (myself included) will be under the impression that they are all the same.

Got my issue sorted in the end, thanks - must have been a slow leak because it came good with another re-oil and re-gas. :)
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:48 pm

I have the same problem now. I always run my air con for 10-15 mins every time I take the zed out, even if the roof is down to keep the seals from drying out.

Anyway had to put the roof up today as it started raining, and then hailing. Put air con on, but only warm air. All controls work and vary speed, heat etc.

Will check Bing’s theory and also my fan contacts. Probably be ok next time.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Had my A/C recharged yesterday. INPA was showing 0.5bar, now showing 5.0bar and freezing cold :D

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 pm Take the plastic cover over the radiator off. Look at the power connector for the fan, two thick wires and one thin green one. Willing to bet the green one has disintegrated.

Done dozens of them, it's the fan speed sense signal.

Let me know...

Mike
I think mine has gone. What do you use to replace the wire with? A link or part number would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sonny

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:18 am

Z4M-2006 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 am As mike says

Usually the fan pack wiring on the fan itself...

Easy to swap out anyway.
Please see above need to get mine changed. What do you order as a replacement?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:18 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:09 pm Had my A/C recharged yesterday. INPA was showing 0.5bar, now showing 5.0bar and freezing cold :D
Sorted :thumbsup:

Mine has been fine since it fixed itself, indy reset something that I can’t remember. Interesting you switch yours off, mine is just always on.