Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

z4 coupe service history missing, is it recoverable

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bluecat

Post by Bluecat » Sun May 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Am considering viewing a z4 coupe December 2008, 55k, its missing the service history up to April 2013, when it had an oil service at 32k, since then has had Insp 2 brake discs/pads and plugs at 46k in 2016 and Insp 1 and oil service in 2018 at 54k.
Is it possible to get details from BMW of what happened between Dec 2008 and 2013. Not wanting stamps in the service book just some reassurance that its been looked after. By my reckoning it should have had an oil service and and Insp 1??. I know under data protection rules they dont give out much detail, but hopefully the supplying dealer would have done these services. Or should I steer clear of a car with missing stamps??

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Sun May 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Ring up BMW UK (not a dealer) and they can tell you the dates and mileages of every time the car has visited a franchised dealer. Then ring up each dealer in turn (assuming they still exist!) and they should be able to tell you over the phone what work was carried out. If you can take a new service book to each of the dealers they should also be able to stamp it for you. Unfortunately they won’t give you copies of the old invoices though, due to data protection whims because they’ll have the current owner’s contact details on them.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Which is stupid, they could easily redact them...
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sun May 20, 2018 10:38 pm

I went through this exercise a few weeks ago. BMW UK helped me out with dates and dealerships, but most dealerships refused to discuss it with me because I wasn't the owner of the car I was discussing. I pointed out that I was trying to verify the history of a car being sold by someone I didn't know, meaning that I couldn't put 100% faith in them telling me the truth, but the dealers stuck to their policy.

I called BMW UK back for some help, but the person I spoke to this time made me aware that, despite what the first telephone operator had told me, the dealerships don't have to comply. Each dealership has their own (nonsensical) policies and don't have to follow a standard BMW line. Frustrating!
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Bluecat

Post by Bluecat » Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks this is all very helpful, surely a redacted bill will not breach any data protection, it may be best to say that you own the car and try and get the VIN number to quote. If the dealers are local ish could be worth a trip too.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 am

Bluecat wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 am Thanks this is all very helpful, surely a redacted bill will not breach any data protection, it may be best to say that you own the car and try and get the VIN number to quote. If the dealers are local ish could be worth a trip too.
You'd think so, wouldn't you!

I had a hell of a time getting a copy of the work done during my engine problem diagnosis and eventual replacement, as the dealer was asking me to pay a % of the cost due to BMW warranty not covering it all.

I fairly asked for a copy of the bill to see what BMW was & wasn't paying for, but it took 2 months and an eventual trip to Chelmsford (from Liverpool) in the snow of Dec 2009 to get it, and that was purely by using subterfuge.

I asked to view the invoice in their records, but didn't ask for a copy, and the young service advisor (out of her comfort zone as the regulars hadn't made it in in the snow) left it on the desk for me to read. 2 minutes later I was in the car heading north...with the invoice in my grubby little scouse hands.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options