Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Yellow engine light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4me2

Yellow engine light

Post by Z4me2 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:26 pm

I bought aniCarsoft reader which is giving me the following codes:

2C9F post Cat heating converter two
2A98 Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, correlation
2A82 Vanos intake

Purchased Bosch post Cat sensor to replace old one but not sure about other codes?

Has anyone had something similar and if so, some advice would be most appreciated : :?

Z4 COUPSTER

Yellow engine light

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Sat May 12, 2018 8:09 am

Mine was caused by a split in the air intake bout. The small one attached to the main air intake. It had an annoying whistle and threw the engine light up. I can't remember all the codes but fixed it and no probs after. If it helps.
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

Z4me2

Yellow engine light

Post by Z4me2 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks for your feedback - lambda post cat was the first to Coe up and I think brought on by one of the exhaust bolts shearing and subsequently the other two materialised - about a week later. I will look at the air intake - thanks!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Yellow engine light

Post by MrPT » Sun May 13, 2018 12:52 am

What model is it? Assume you’ve had some rough running?

The other two codes often appear with the relatively common issue of sticky or partially blocked Vanos solenoids. You can remove them and clean them yourself, or have them replaced for a not-ridiculous amount of money. About £200 all up, I think.

If the issue is frequent you could try swapping the solenoids and seeing if the problem moves to the exhaust side.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Yellow engine light

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 13, 2018 10:30 am

For the solenoids, I found cleaning works for a short period of time before the issue crops up again. They are about £70 each for new OE and not difficult (but fiddly) to replace. IMHO there's no point in replacing preventatively but more frequent oil changes my help.

Don't get cheapo ones on eBay, they fail again after a year or so.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Z4me2

Yellow engine light

Post by Z4me2 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback - 2006 3.0si I have decided to clean the Vanos solenoids and will then review. Motor is absolutely fine so hoping for a quick fix :thumbsup: :thumbsup: