Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help diagnose my clunk....

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Wed May 09, 2018 10:18 pm

A bit of new owner paranoia here. My 2.5 has a bit of a clunk from the rear end. I haven’t done enough varied driving to really get a really good feel for when it does and doesn’t happen. I can say for sure that it does it from stationary whe engaging reverse of first. Selecting reverse to come out of my garage doesn’t always slot in first time, but this may be unrelated. I have a feeling the clunk also manifests when going from first to second and slow speed (Ie in town), but not in higher gears.

I’ve read a couple of threads about the driveshaft donut and some discussion about splines into the diff. Am I likely to be experiencing one of these issues, or something else?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Sounds like the classic input flange needing greasing.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Wed May 09, 2018 11:00 pm

If it's when selecting gear then it sounds like donut to me. I've had one go before on a 2001 320ci and you're describing what I was hearing.

From what I've gathered, the spline noise is more when you're already in gear, not selecting it, and when you begin to accelerate and lift off. I think I have this on my mine, hence I've been doing some research of my own.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and confirm if I'm right or wrong!

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 pm

This is definitely a gear selection clunk and not a lift off one. The click may be more of a thud. A low noise that can be felt as well as heard.

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Thud, yes, just like my 320. My money's on donut.