Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best wing mirror glass

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Theog

Best wing mirror glass

Post by Theog » Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Afternoon all

Does this look about right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E81-E87- ... Sw4CFY71B8

Im thinking of buying two, just in case there are colour differences.

Just the glass fell off / broken. Still has that black leaf behind it, so i assume these will stick back on ok.

Just want to be sure in case others have different advice.

Thanks

T

Theog

Best wing mirror glass

Post by Theog » Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm

I needed it asap, so went for this one instead - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390932207725

Only 1 side, but it turns out my other mirror was not blue, so didnt go for it in the end.

Stupid question here, but how do you know if the side mirror is heated or not (without ripping it apart)?

Crazy Harry

Best wing mirror glass

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue May 08, 2018 6:28 pm

The black rubber covers the heating element - I listened to the advice of world wiser members which was 'don't pull the rubber off' (good in a number of circumstances). I just cleaned all the bits of old glue off it with surgical spirit (a well known universal solvent in our house for cleaning and removing ticks from dogs; but not as good with lemonade as meths!) so the rubber was clean. I used double sided gorilla tape to fix the glass. Did it a year ago still in place.

I think the mirror heaters are always on (bless you BMW) which is why the adhesive failure rate is so high. Easy job only takes a few minutes.

Theog

Best wing mirror glass

Post by Theog » Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:28 pm The black rubber covers the heating element - I listened to the advice of world wiser members which was 'don't pull the rubber off' (good in a number of circumstances). I just cleaned all the bits of old glue off it with surgical spirit (a well known universal solvent in our house for cleaning and removing ticks from dogs; but not as good with lemonade as meths!) so the rubber was clean. I used double sided gorilla tape to fix the glass. Did it a year ago still in place.

I think the mirror heaters are always on (bless you BMW) which is why the adhesive failure rate is so high. Easy job only takes a few minutes.
Wow, always heated. Nice.

As you said that would make sense why they fall off then.

The one I have bought has a self adhesive back to it, so hopefully just a clean up and stick (cross fingers).