Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front suspension clunking - wishbone rear bushing? Which powerflex?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:25 am

I noticed yesterday a clunking coming from the front of my 2003 Z4 3.0i, seems to be more noticeable at slow speed when suspension is working.

I tightened the top braces which made no difference so jacked it up and couldn't see anything noticeable like a cracked spring but searched forum and read comments suggesting the rear bushing of the front wishbone. Is this likely the cause rather than anti-roll bar bushing, ball joint on the anti-roll bar link or top mount? Is there an easy way to tell?

If it is the wishbone rear bushing what Powerflex replacement do I need, 60mm or 66mm?
Do I need the 'FRONT WISHBONE REAR BUSH' or the 'FRONT WISHBONE REAR BUSH, ALUMINIUM OUTER'?

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

Cheers Jeremy

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat May 05, 2018 6:41 am

I'm experiencing exactly the same aa you but suspect its the arb bushes which need replacing. I'll be doing those first and if it persists then i'll start cancelling out other things...keep us posted of your own developments...
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Post by sticky » Sat May 05, 2018 7:24 am

Whole wishbone is not expensive,

JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:26 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5pvj8k3x15fj ... .jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/op66vsf34hvwr ... .jpeg?dl=0

This is what the anti-roll bar bushes look like when the car is jacked up on one side and then the other with the wheel off so the anti-roll bar is under load. Do they look badly worn enough to cause a knocking? Car is on 94k

Post by sticky » Sat May 05, 2018 9:36 am

Have a look at the wishbone joints

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat May 05, 2018 9:16 pm

JSz4 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:26 am https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5pvj8k3x15fj ... .jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/op66vsf34hvwr ... .jpeg?dl=0

This is what the anti-roll bar bushes look like when the car is jacked up on one side and then the other with the wheel off so the anti-roll bar is under load. Do they look badly worn enough to cause a knocking? Car is on 94k
Is it just a trick of the light or is there a gap between the bar and the bush? If so, they are pretty worn, yeah!

Mine clunk a bit but visually they still look ok.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes definitely a gap between the bar and the bush but it is jacked up on that side so maybe exaggerates it? I've ordered replacements but not convinced that's causing knocking.

Went for short drive today, there's no play in the steering or handling/braking issues and knocking isn't necessarily when suspension is absorbing bumps, does sound significant though, could it be engine mounts?

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat May 05, 2018 9:42 pm

If you jack up the car, grab one of the front wheels and give it a decent shove backwards and forwards, can you hear anything?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:59 pm

No, tried that and no movement or noise

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 06, 2018 11:21 am

Tried the drop links? They're pretty cheap to replace.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks for the advice.. was the drop links which is odd as they weren't replaced that long ago.

I also replaced the anti roll bar bushes with powerflex ones as they were very worn and quite a noticeable difference.

Cheers guys

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 pm

At 94k if the arms are original look to replace them, they will be past best.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.