Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Diff carrier bearings replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jack07

Post by jack07 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi all,my 07 E86 manual has developed a minor irritating diff whirring sound which only manifests itself occasionally after tight slower speed bends.After checking around underneath I can feel movement of the diff output flange which I believe confirms my suspicion of carrier bearings.I have no noticeable noise when powering on and overrun so hope to save a perfectly good diff with just the carrier bearings and output seals.Has anyone sourced these items,or know the sizes.If not I will post them up when the old ones come out.
I'm not in need of messing with the pinion bearings and cannot run to a LSD,just want to save this diff.
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

Beatman

Post by Beatman » Sun May 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Jack07, my 04 e85 has also recently started to whine, I think from the differential. It starts at above 20mph and the noise seems speed related. I've tried clutch in / freewheeling etc but it remains. Only stopping once the speed drops below the 22-25 mark.
Hopefully a fellow member can help point to a possible diagnosis?
My Car- 2004 3.0se sterling grey, mv3s , satnav, heated seats, ZHP.

jack07

Post by jack07 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Have you noticed any change in the noise when throwing weight on and off each side.i.e. On a quiet stretch of road steer quite firmly left to load a right wheel bearing and make it louder,and vice versa?If you cannot aggravate the noise this way it's very likely in the diff.
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

Beatman

Post by Beatman » Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Jack07. I have made a few inquiries and carried out a few test drives. And I think your right, it's most probably the diff :( .
My issue is now sorting out how to get it fixed, not sure if this is a diy task.
My Car- 2004 3.0se sterling grey, mv3s , satnav, heated seats, ZHP.