Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Not Latching When Down

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dwoodford1987

Post by dwoodford1987 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 am

Hi all

So ever since buying my 54 Z4 2.2 with a very low 164000 on the clock the roof will not latch when retracted.

Motor unlocks from the windscreen perfectly

Roof goes down perfectly

Motor re-engages when down to latch perfectly

HOWEVER roof doesn’t quite go down the final inch or so and we all know how important those inches can be so I have to give it a gentle push and can hear it clicking into the latch.

Any ideas as it is driving me mad. Also I have taken a video of it and can send it to people but I can’t upload it hear :(

Much obliged.
Project 1 - 2004 E85 2.2i (COMPLETE)

Project 2 - 2004 E85 2.5i (COMPLETE)

Project 3 - 2007 E85 3.0si (COMPLETE)

Now Projectless :(

C58

Post by C58 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:36 am

Hey,
I actually had the same issue, if you power the roof down without pushing it in manually and you go for a drive do you get the flashing red light on the console? it could be a number of issues, the main one being roof alignment - when I bought my zed the roof motor was fried so they sent it off to get it replaced by an indy before I purchased but when it came back it had the above issue due to the roof not being aligned correctly when the motor was replaced.
The fact that it latches when you push it in tells me that its not an issue with the latch so alignment would be my guess but there'll be some more technically gifted members who will know more than myself who will help im sure :D

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:04 am

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e85- ... op/3OnQhYr

This is the official BMW procedures to deal with it. Work through that first off, obviously skipping the typical "replace everything" step!

I should note, mine does the same thing when the roof fabric is particularly cold. Consider this could be an issue too, or of the roof has a waterproof layer applied to it this can also stiffen the fabric.

dwoodford1987

Post by dwoodford1987 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:55 am

Well it’s not off centre and it dead straight in line with the latch so not bent in any way, and the weather doesn’t seem to affect it. However if it has been latched down for a good few hours and then I put it up and back down it latches fine. It’s when it’s been up for period of time it doesn’t wanna go all the way down. I’ll work through the instructions and hopefully get it sorted.

Thanks for that :-) :thumbsup:
Project 1 - 2004 E85 2.2i (COMPLETE)

Project 2 - 2004 E85 2.5i (COMPLETE)

Project 3 - 2007 E85 3.0si (COMPLETE)

Now Projectless :(

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am

To be honest, it just sounds like the fabric is a bit stiff then. I know people have had success with the Renovo Proofer, as it conditions and softens the fabric too apparently. I can't speak from experience there, so will leave it for others to input.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Mine also does it, but drive 100 yards and it settles in - BMW actually completely removed the latch on the later models, presumably due to customer complaints. I can't come up on it's own whilst driving.

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:25 pm

The lower catch was removed from late 06 onwards. The reason for this seems to be a combination of it beening a bit of overkill, the release button was a common rattle/squeak and it could also mark/wear away the roof lining. In light of this I removed mine nearly three years now and have never once had a issue because if it.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

chrisgreen

Post by chrisgreen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:59 pm

fairly common issue and could be down to a number of reasons - mine doesn't due to the fabric being slightly hard (maybe from bad washing, coatings, waterproofings etc) so doesn't fold where necessary to get it to lie flat and latch.

I fold mine down half way - push out the corners on both sides then goes down fine.

Bottom line is - wouldn't worry about it. Unless your red flashing light is on then something might be wrong in which case answers posted by previous messages above!
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm actually going to be removing my latch this weekend for the reasons above.

As soon as you start driving, the roof will drop a little bit more anyway.

My latch has gone a bit corroded and you can see the nastiness through the rear window, hence me choosing to do away with it.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.