Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil light - me again!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jock156

Oil light - me again!

Post by jock156 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm

2006 and on 86k miles

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Oil light - me again!

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Are the plugs full of oil at all?

Does it smoke if on start up you floor the throttle?

Is it puffs of smoke or does it chug out a constant cloud?

Has this garage done a compression test? (Thinking a ring could be burnt out) which could well happen at this stage.

Does it have any overrun? Like in 2nd gear @20 if you come off the throttle does the exhaust crackle at all?
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

jock156

Oil light - me again!

Post by jock156 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:43 am

Well I’ve taken it to a recommended Indy who’s first guess was the CCV in fact there was another Z4 on a 03 plate having the exact same thing done! That’s not to say that’s the problem but it’s a cheap/ easy start. Booked in for next Thursday so fingers crossed! Thanks for the advice guys 👍

Mike6

Oil light - me again!

Post by Mike6 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:04 pm

A fairly cheap diagnosis would be to get a compression test done. That way you would know for sure what is going on. Checking the spark plugs might also give you an indication. If they are very oily and sooty then you know something is going on. But you are not in knackered engine territory just yet.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Oil light - me again!

Post by Smartbear » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Mike6 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:04 pm A fairly cheap diagnosis would be to get a compression test done. That way you would know for sure what is going on. Checking the spark plugs might also give you an indication. If they are very oily and sooty then you know something is going on. But you are not in knackered engine territory just yet.
You can still have good compression readings and burn oil though, if the oil rings or the ccv system are not doing their job the engine could still consume oil. :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Rufus59

Oil light - me again!

Post by Rufus59 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:56 pm

I think it's a cylinder leak off test anyway for oil burning diagnosis. You're burning a hell of a lot of oil though, CCV would make more sense to me based on quantity of oil consumed.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

jock156

Oil light - me again!

Post by jock156 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:37 pm

*UPDATE*

Just had the garage call and replaced the CCV for £93 all in. Smoke has gone slightly but he said it needs a few good runs to get rid of any the oil build up in the exhaust etc but was a great improvement. Doesn't throw blue smoke when giving it the beans now.

He also said the CCV was full of crud so many many thanks for the heads up on this.

Please note this may not be the end of the saga! Only time will tell :|

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Oil light - me again!

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 03, 2018 8:46 pm

jock156 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:37 pm Just had the garage call and replaced the CCV for £93 all in. Smoke has gone slightly but he said it needs a few good runs to get rid of any the oil build up in the exhaust etc but was a great improvement. Doesn't throw blue smoke when giving it the beans now.

He also said the CCV was full of crud so many many thanks for the heads up on this.

Please note this may not be the end of the saga! Only time will tell
Sounds promising though - I hope that's your problem solved. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jock156

Oil light - me again!

Post by jock156 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:44 pm

I collected it this morning and went to a tyre fitter to have 2 new tyres fitted. The costs go on and on to get this right!!!!!

So there was some amount of blue smoke when I collected it. Been to 3 site visits now and the smoke has gone. Had a long blast down the A47 at "speed" and then onto the NDR at speed and no smoke!!!!!

So hopefully, hopefully that is the problem solved :D

skelters

Oil light - me again!

Post by skelters » Fri May 04, 2018 8:15 pm

jock156 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:44 pm I collected it this morning and went to a tyre fitter to have 2 new tyres fitted. The costs go on and on to get this right!!!!!

So there was some amount of blue smoke when I collected it. Been to 3 site visits now and the smoke has gone. Had a long blast down the A47 at "speed" and then onto the NDR at speed and no smoke!!!!!

Good stuff. So the garage were at it for an engine rebuild. Gets it fixed for £93 and the guy still thinks he sold you a lemon while slumming it in an MG.

Have you checked for all the usual things that may or may not require fixing / replacing with the mileage of the car? Brake Discs / Pads, Water pump, suspension refresh, bushes etc. Not trying to scare your wallet!!!
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Oil light - me again!

Post by Smartbear » Fri May 04, 2018 8:18 pm

jock156 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:44 pm I collected it this morning and went to a tyre fitter to have 2 new tyres fitted. The costs go on and on to get this right!!!!!

Happy days 8)
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Rufus59

Oil light - me again!

Post by Rufus59 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Nice one :wink: :thumbsup:
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

jock156

Oil light - me again!

Post by jock156 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:20 pm

So after the weekend I report as follows..........................

1. Garage No. 1 I will not be taking my cars back there again.

2. Garage No. 2 has sorted the problem (fingers crossed). Only smokes now on a cold engine start up but no smoke after that. However, the oil light has came back on again along with the EMS light - which sort of goes on and off. This garage didn't top the oil up just replaced the CCV.

So my thinking (I ain't no mechanic) is go back to garage No. 2 and have a full oil & filter change, even though this was done about 3/4 weeks ago. Then I will know where I stand with using oil.

Thoughts?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Oil light - me again!

Post by Smartbear » Tue May 08, 2018 5:59 pm

jock156 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:20 pm So after the weekend I report as follows..........................

1. Garage No. 1 I will not be taking my cars back there again.

2. Garage No. 2 has sorted the problem (fingers crossed). Only smokes now on a cold engine start up but no smoke after that. However, the oil light has came back on again along with the EMS light - which sort of goes on and off. This garage didn't top the oil up just replaced the CCV.

So my thinking (I ain't no mechanic) is go back to garage No. 2 and have a full oil & filter change, even though this was done about 3/4 weeks ago. Then I will know where I stand with using oil.

Thoughts?
If it was only changed that recently I’d just top it up, you can monitor the level from there :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

jock156

Oil light - me again!

Post by jock156 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:27 pm

But how do I know how much to put in?