Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another roof issue problem...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
C58

Post by C58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 am

Hey all,

Some advice please.
After 2 years of trouble free zedding I've got a roof issue.
I purchased the zed 2 years ago and the roof motor was busted, the latch unclipped but the roof wouldn't go all the way down - it needed a push for the first 6 inches or so. I told the garage it was a known issue and they agreed to get it fixed before I purchased. It was done through an indy and apart from some alignment issued (when roof went up and latched the red light flashed occasionally) it was all good.
We've only used the zed a handful of times over the winter and tried to cycle the roof when we have just to get the motor running but haven't for about 3 months.
Anyway yesterday I tried to cycle the roof using the key before getting in and no joy. Windows went down but no roof, so I got in and tried and nothing. The roof button flashes orange but there's no unlatch and no motor noise.

I've searched the forum but can only find issues different from this, any help or a point to a previous post would be much appreciated

:thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:37 am

An Orange light could be a simple microswitch triggered or faulty - boot shelf dislodged might be a simple answer. If not then the switches have been known to come loose or go bad.

viewtopic.php?t=33704
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am

As above, check the parcel shelf is in its lowest position :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am As above, check the parcel shelf is in its lowest position :thumbsup:
Rob
I've sat in mine a couple of times cursing the orange 'broken' roof light, then calmed down and found the shelf knocked out of place :oops:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

C58

Post by C58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 am

thanks for the speedy responses all - ill investigate tonight. Fingers crossed its just the parcel shelf, cant deal with another chat with the mrs about how unnecessary the zed is and that we should get a more "practical" car, I think a £500 bill for a new roof motor will be the straw that breaks the camels back :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:35 am

C58 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 am thanks for the speedy responses all - ill investigate tonight. Fingers crossed its just the parcel shelf, cant deal with another chat with the mrs about how unnecessary the zed is and that we should get a more "practical" car, I think a £500 bill for a new roof motor will be the straw that breaks the camels back :D
Make sure the shelf adjusters are set to there lowest setting in the boot & if it ever needs roof motor work don’t ever pay £500- there’s a few members on the forum who can fix them for less than half that amount and relocate to the boot so it never drowns again!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am

The micro switch is in the boot on the panel that is directly behind the seats, roughly in the middle.

Open boot, stand looking in and at the centre of the back panel. You will need to bend and look up a little, There's a black plastic recessed panel, in the bottom left of which, lives the switch (been a while since I replaced mine, pretty sure it was bottom left) You may need to raise the parcel shelf thingy. The visible part of the switch is a small metal clip.

Note - If the micro switch is not working, there will be no action whatsoever at the roof lower/raise button. The windows won't drop, roof unlock nothing!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

IIRC though, the shelf and associated microswitch don't give a flashing orange light - it just stays on constant orange. Also you usually don't get anything happening at all (OP reports windows do drop).

I really should put a little post together on what the different lights i.e. red constrant, red flashing, orange constant, orange flashing typically mean but roof problems tend to be either:

1) Broken wire going to roof latch / unlatch motor
2) Motor electrically corroded due to water ingress
3) Motor manual release plunger stuck in after red handle being pulled
4) Comms error between latch motor and ecu (manually winding latches to one end and back to other sometimes sorts)
5) Roof not operable due to parcel shelf in upper position / microswitch fault. (Constant orange, windows don't drop and roof doesn't unlatch)

Maybe somebody like DLV can come along on shed some more knowledge on the different lights?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

C58

Post by C58 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:27 am

Hey all,

just a quick update - it was the microswitch which was somehow jammed - after a bit of elbow grease (wd40) the roof is back to normal working order, thanks a lot for the help :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Glad you got it sorted. Are you sure the windows dropped though with the jammed microswitch? Usually it doesn't do anything at all. Maybe misunderstood slightly.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:41 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:45 pm Glad you got it sorted. Are you sure the windows dropped though with the jammed microswitch? Usually it doesn't do anything at all. Maybe misunderstood slightly.
Ordinarily nothing at all happens when the microswitch isn't closed, it's possible that the shelf dropped slightly at the same time he pushed the button, which may have allowed the window drop/unlatch before it locked out the system.

Mike