Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Knocking, judder vibration from rear

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 am

Decided to take the Zed to work this morning, heard a knocking from rear thought it was probably the exhaust but when I pulled on to dual carriageway horrible vibration and knocking from what sounds like nearside rear and worse as you got faster, so sat at 40 and let the world past me
The car has been sat in the garage for six months so maybe that has something to do with it
It doesn't appear to be during acceleration so I'm thinking wheel bearing, but don't they drone?
Cheers in advance
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:43 am

I had this on my old z4 coupe. Made an awful noise turned out to be a massive egg on the inside of the tyre!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:29 am

^more specifically if it's been sitting... flat spotted tyres. Low profile with flat spots are horrible at speed.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 am

The nearside tyre is brand new but I'll check the others
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am

Could it be corrosion on the disc, or has it been parked with the handbrake on for a long time so that it’s left crap on the drums that rubbing?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:20 am

I left the handbrake off and took her out for test drive prior to the MOT and all was well then
I'll jack the back end up and give the wheels a wobble to see if anything going on there.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 am

Wheel nuts all done up tightly if it had a new tyre fitted ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Wafoo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:20 am I left the handbrake off and took her out for test drive prior to the MOT and all was well then
I'll jack the back end up and give the wheels a wobble to see if anything going on there.
My egg was on the inside of the tyre. Take all wheels off and have a good nose
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Got home eventually chucked her in the garage and jacked up the rear end
No play in the wheels,, both tyres look fine, off side has a bit of a buckle but nothing major, there's a retaining spring missing off the offside caliper so they're rattling a bit
Worst part is when I started her and stuck her in gear with the road wheels off the ground that's when the noise kicks in when the when you put drive on the wheels, a graunching noise from the offside rear, not all the time maybe every half revolution but at 40-50 it would be pretty much continuous
Any ideas, driveshaft, diff?

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Stick your head under the car with the wheels turning. Be careful though, axle stands etc. Try to locate where the noise is coming from.....nearer the brake side or the centre diff section. Try to pin it down further before dismantling anything.
If you are anywhere near chesterfield, you are welcome to put it on my lift.
Andy.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:36 pm

I wonder if it could be anything to do with the drivetrain between the gearbox and the diff... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97640&hilit=Donut&start=15
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:36 pm I wonder if it could be anything to do with the drivetrain between the gearbox and the diff... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97640&hilit=Donut&start=15
Doesn't sound it, I have no clunk just the horrible graunching and vibration, I'll have to leave it till the weekend now and force the poor old Alfa GT back into service, poor thing
Bloody typical first decent day we get and this happens

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Update

Had some time on her today
Started up and stuck in gear, on axle stands as soon as you put any sort of throttle on the revs drop the graunchy something's broken noise like metal rubbing together happens and when I watched the road wheels the graunching coincides with the nearside rear wheel kicking up, so I'm looking at driveshaft or diff I think

SebT

Post by SebT » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 pm

Hi Wafoo,

I have the same symptoms and also feel it could be the diff. I went around a corner +- 90kmph and also got a slight lock up.... apon deacceleration I also get a slight wirling sound from the same side as the vibration and lock up, the left rear.

Please let us know what the issue was in the end.
Thanks,
Seb

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:25 pm

SebT wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 pm Hi Wafoo,

I have the same symptoms and also feel it could be the diff. I went around a corner +- 90kmph and also got a slight lock up.... apon deacceleration I also get a slight wirling sound from the same side as the vibration and lock up, the left rear.

Please let us know what the issue was in the end.
Thanks,
Seb
Seb, Wafoo hasn’t been on the forum since 2018 so don’t think you’ll be getting a response :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)