Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Self Levelling Headlight Issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
flight174z

Post by flight174z » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi All,

Hoping for some guidance on this as I'm running out of ideas!

The drivers side headlight isn't levelling on my 2007 Z4 Coupe. I've made a video to demonstrate but I've noticed today that the behaviour of the light on the other side is a bit odd too!

In the video, I turn the headlights on and off four times. The first two times, the passenger headlight tries to drop down, appears to get stuck and stops. The third time the passenger light rises up higher than the drivers side and settles and the fourth time, the passenger light settles below the drivers light.

This seems odd as the car hasn't moved at all between the ignition being flicked on and off - I would expect the lights to settle at the same height each time!

Has anyone seen this happen before? Clearly there is something wrong with the light on the drivers side as it isn't moving at all (though I can hear some noise coming from that light which sounds like a motor (though it is quieter than on the passenger sides)). Is there something wrong with the light on the other side too?

It's been to the garage and a "headlight adjuster" was replaced, but this clearly hasn't made any difference.

Any guidance greatly appreciated as I'm stuck and other than this the car is in good shape mechanically!

https://youtu.be/l_3K8AB_7Bw
09/16

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm

I would suggest you open up the back of both headlights from the access panel in the front wheel arches. You should be able to see more clearly what is happening with the levelling motors then, and it should be possible to take the motors out to see how they work without the load of the light reflector attached to them.

One thing to check is if the motor is still rigidly attached to the pivoting reflector inside the headlight. I’ve not investigated this in any detail on the Z4 but my previous E91 had an issue when I bought it that the motor had become unclipped from the light innards (it had a plastic ball joint), probably as a result of an earlier light bump.

Another potential issue that I have on my Z4 is that one of the plastic bevel gears on the aim adjuster on the outside of the light has fallen off or become loose on its shaft where it goes into the headlight. The gear is what stops the shaft from pushing into the headlight housing, where on the inside it provides the static mounting for the inner frame/reflector of the headlight. I this happens the innards don’t always pivot on the correct centre when the manual adjuster or levelling motor operate.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

flight174z

Post by flight174z » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 pm

rally-chris wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm I would suggest you open up the back of both headlights from the access panel in the front wheel arches. You should be able to see more clearly what is happening with the levelling motors then, and it should be possible to take the motors out to see how they work without the load of the light reflector attached to them.

One thing to check is if the motor is still rigidly attached to the pivoting reflector inside the headlight. I’ve not investigated this in any detail on the Z4 but my previous E91 had an issue when I bought it that the motor had become unclipped from the light innards (it had a plastic ball joint), probably as a result of an earlier light bump.

Another potential issue that I have on my Z4 is that one of the plastic bevel gears on the aim adjuster on the outside of the light has fallen off or become loose on its shaft where it goes into the headlight. The gear is what stops the shaft from pushing into the headlight housing, where on the inside it provides the static mounting for the inner frame/reflector of the headlight. I this happens the innards don’t always pivot on the correct centre when the manual adjuster or levelling motor operate.

Chris
Thanks for the suggestions Chris. I've had a poke about behind the lights before but there is only a very small gap without taking the wheels off!

Realistically I think I'll need someone to sort this out for me as I'll struggle to find the time (and competence!) To figure it out myself. It's just frustrating when it's unclear what the problem is! I'd rather just have the simple halogens I think.

It's also worrying that there could be issues with both lights. I was hoping that it was just the one side until tonight
09/16