Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Problem child E85. Not starting!! Any advice?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr Sam

Post by Mr Sam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

G'day,

My problem child of a car is playing up (again!!)

Was working fine yesterday, went to start it this morning and the dash lights light up, by doesnt turn over, doesnt make the normal clicking sound of a dead starter motor though (had the starter motor replaced 6 months ago).

So, tried to jump start it and it still wouldnt start, it made a load of clicking sounds in a row when turning the key, but didnt try and turn over at all.
Windows were slow going up and down as if the battery was dead. But again, it wouldnt even start while being jumped, wouldnt even try to turn over.

Put it in gear with handbrake off and rocked it incase sticky starter motor, didnt help.

Any ideas?? Have cleaned the positive battery terminal as well as it was quite corroded.
Could it be the starter motor again? Even though its only 6 months old.

Thanks in advance for any advice, obviously I cant get it to the garage as it wont start :/

Cheers!!
Sam

Truman

Post by Truman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Can you try another battery? I know you said you tried jump starting it but a totally failed battery may even stop this from working if there's low resistance inside...

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Search the forum re ignition key switch, a common fault that will cause random starting and electrical issues including dead (no clicking) , clicking but no turning over and turning over but not starting. not too expensive to fix.
viewtopic.php?t=88027
viewtopic.php?t=94402
viewtopic.php?t=93294

Apart from that I'd check the battery IS good and fully charged. A Voltmeter on the terminals without the engine running looking for about 12.4 ish Volts. and with the engine running to test the alternator where a healthy alternator should be giving around 13.7v at idle and not much over about 14.5v preferably. Check the negative earth points are clean on the battery and connections & earth on the starter are solid and clean as people have found this to be the problem as well.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:57 pm

As above, igniting switch is a very common cause of this. You can short the cables at the connector block with ignition on, if it starts then it's 100%the switch.

Mike

Mr Sam

Post by Mr Sam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

I havent got a volt meter but will try and source one tomorrow. I'll also try shorting it at the connector as well.

Just got home and now no lights will light up at all. Apart from the interior light which is very dim and keeps turning on for 2 seconds then dying, then back on, then dying, as if its either resetting itself or (I assume) the battery is so dead that the computer is telling the light it doesnt have enough charge to stay on, then it decided it does, then doesnt, then does, etc.

The battery indictator claims the battery doesnt need changing, but I guess I'll have to source another and see if that works.

Thanks for all the advice gents!

Sam

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 pm

New battery before you do anything else.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm

At the end of last my Z4 done exactly what you've described. Fine one day, completely dead the next. Jump leads made no difference.

As my battery had been in the car for at least 7 and a half years and it was bitterly cold I'd presumed it had finally packed up. New battery, started immediately and been fine since.

Mr Sam

Post by Mr Sam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Im hoping thats the same case for me Lance!
New battery ordered yesterday so should turn up tomorrow, will let you know how it goes!
Thanks for all the advices!

Mr Sam

Post by Mr Sam » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:49 pm

New battery did the job! Thanks for the help all!

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:37 am

I'd be tempted to see what's causing the current drain on the battery
Mine was forever flat till I found out the catch in the compartment between the seats was broken so the interior light there was permanently on
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

Anmarube

Post by Anmarube » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:31 am

Wafoo wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:37 am I'd be tempted to see what's causing the current drain on the battery
Mine was forever flat till I found out the catch in the compartment between the seats was broken so the interior light there was permanently on
This was causing my battery to drain also.

Russell

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:51 am

Anmarube wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:31 am
Wafoo wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:37 am I'd be tempted to see what's causing the current drain on the battery
This was causing my battery to drain also.

Russell
It's always tricky to check if a light is staying on in a glove box or boot, someone posted on here about putting a mobile inside with video on, simple :slaphead:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 am

Had this with my e36 coupe - battery would drain without seemingly any reason til i traced it back to the bootlight staying on all the time.
How did i find this out? Accidentally left one of the folding rear seats down after transporting something big in the boot and saw by chance the light was on when it got dark even though car was locked and boot shut tight. Gaaah! :roll:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.