Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof lowering issues.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr.Sloth

Roof lowering issues.

Post by Mr.Sloth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi All,

I have been having trouble getting my roof to fold down correctly. I have relocated the motor and pump to the boot following a few guides found on the forum. I took the motor out and gave it a good clean and ran it in both directions, it works perfectly(it was working fine before cleaning). Hydraulic oil level is correct. I've checked all pipes, no kinks or leaks that I can find anywhere.
I bought the car in January, it had been parked up for the winter in a garage before I purchased it. Would the lack of movement for that period of time cause the roof canvas to stiffen up? Anyone ever have any similar problems and if so were you able to rectify them? The motor also needs a little help just after it unlatches, it will then take over and fold the roof down, I would say 90% of the way. If I then give it a little push down and press the button again it will lock itself in place.

Roof closes by itself with no issues whatsoever.

Would leaving the roof down during the night for a week help the situation at all?

I'm open to any suggestions you may have,

Thanks,
Stephen

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof lowering issues.

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Pump head is failing. Starting to see a few like this - Try swapping the pairs of hydraulic hoses over side to side along with the electrical connections. If it then opens fine and has problems closing, it's definitely the pump head.

Mike

Mr.Sloth

Roof lowering issues.

Post by Mr.Sloth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks Mike, I’ll try this when I get back to the garage