Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windows, wipers not working and radio disabled, also some cluster light's not working?? Any help appreciated!!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rosco01

Windows, wipers not working and radio disabled, also some cluster light's not working?? Any help appreciated!!

Post by Rosco01 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Changed battery (to e85) after winter, all was working except some cluster light function. Now window's, wipers and roof don't operate and radio is showing disabled?? All fuse's checked.

Any ideas?

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:34 pm

It's in transport mode. Needs coding out
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Rosco01

Post by Rosco01 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Cheer's for the reply Jamie. But what is transport mode? And why would it randomly be in transport mode?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 pm

There are many many posts on this. Search “transport mode” and all will become clear.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Rosco01

Post by Rosco01 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 pm

I've had a look, been reading these forums for a while now. Is there a way to confirm that it's in transport mode? My symptoms seem different than most?

Thanks again

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:15 pm

The easiest one to check is does the blower run at full speed when turned to max? Does the rear window demistor button light up when engaged? Same for the air-con.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

Rosco01

Post by Rosco01 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:28 pm

All of the above work?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:58 pm

....this is odd. Maybe not transport mode then. Try disconnecting battery..,wait 2 mins then reconnect.

Rosco01

Post by Rosco01 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Tried this. Also done it for 2, 4, 6 hour's and overnight. Still have the same issues?

Very frustrating 😩

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Indicative of a communication error between modules. Has the car by chance been left with the roof down and been rained upon?

Saw a Zed with similar problems today, when connected to diagnostic kit only 3 modules appeared to be communicating rather than the normal 20 or so. This one had been "rained on" so will be coming back to me for investigation when I have a bit more time.

A diagnostic check would be my first port of call on this. Whereabouts are you, as myself and other members have the necessary kit.

Mike

Rosco01

Post by Rosco01 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Not rained apon, but more problems surfaced after the last time I washed it?! After much reading, it seems to be a k-bus problem and or module problem like you say.

Livingston, Scotland, any good?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:40 am

It definitely sounds like a module issue screwing with the K BUS.
I had a similar issue on an E46 many years back.
There's a central connection block for all the modules K BUS network usually on BMWs. I know its on the fuse box on E46s (not looked on the E85 but id bet its in the same place). If you disconnect the wiring plug for the modules one by one, when most things spring back into life you've identified the offending module. Its just a case of then identifying which module that is, usually by seeing which functions still dont work and working out what controls them. Obviously its easier with proper diagnostic software if you have it. With software and a K BUS issue INPA/ISTA D etc will only see a few modules usually, when you unplug the offending module all the others (minus the one you've unplug obviously) will show up on a scan again. Its then easy to work out what modules giving the issue as its missing on the scan. Then youve just got to try and work out if its a wiring issue or the module itself, however in reality its nearly always the module itself. Once you've worked out the module you can usually replace with a used part to keep costs down, but it will need coding in virtually all cases.

Hope this helps
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 am

Have a look at this thread... The one I was looking at yesterday is now fixed..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105068

Mike

Rosco01

Post by Rosco01 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks Mike, not sure how the water would be getting there but this all started with a random air bag light! Should have mentioned that and so would make sense. How easy is the air bad module to remove?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

The module itself is a 1 min job - Getting to it is a PITA..

New one doesn't need coding if it has the same part number, an E46 one will fit, they are a tenner on Ebay!

Mike