Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

electrical gremlins - please help!! Airbag Ecu? Edit... Fixed

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Same mate can't find one either! Just going to wait till one turns up I guess!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

james078

Post by james078 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:57 pm

I am having the same exact issues as Roscoe on my 04' 3.0i Z4 - wipers, windows, radio, some instrument lights all non-functional...I was able to disconnect my wiring from the ABM unit, but did not get the same results as Roscoe - ...any other ideas to try from anyone? I am having water leaks from rain in my trunk space... any modules in there that could cause these same issues from getting wet?

thx...james
2004 E85 Z4 3.0i, ~230K miles...bought it new, 1 and only owner, still love the car!

james078

Post by james078 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:56 pm

OK all...I found my culprit...it is my radio AMP located in the battery compartment on the trunk...I've had some problems with rain water getting into my trunk, apparently the moisture has damaged the amp...as soon as i unplugged it, everything came back to life (except the radio of course for obvious reasons)... so I'll look for a used AMP and try to find the source of my water leak into the trunk...

cheers...James
2004 E85 Z4 3.0i, ~230K miles...bought it new, 1 and only owner, still love the car!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Didn’t realise the amp was plugged into the canbus! One to remember. Well done for sorting.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

zagamuffin

Post by zagamuffin » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:27 am

Great info, having similar issues, started with Ann and airbag lights , charged battery and disconnected to reset system and now don’t have windows on switch’s , dash lights and radio on locked
2003 2.5 silvery goldish
gaptech,19" ispiris,iPod kit,xcite halos,load of petrol

colb

Post by colb » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:48 am

My experience with airbag modules is one on a Z3, thats located in the centre console as well. Members car that had an airbag light on and he replaced with an ebay one, that didnt work so he bought another ebay one. I got involved and found that he had binned the original he took out and had obtained the two replacements with the same part number. I discovered that the part number of the units was wrong for the car by looking at Realoem parts site to see what was fitted when the car was built. One of our resident breakers on Zroadster.org came up with a correct part number unit and this was fitted to the car. It was coded to the car using NCS Expert, once coded the airbag light went off and system was restored. The car was a salvage car so the history that came with it was not clear so how it came to have the wrong module in the first place is unknown. Once you sort yours put some plastic over the top to give it some more protection from future water ingress, just in case. The two airbag modules he got were found to be duff, both believed to have crash data in them which locks the unit up and prevents any codes they have to be cleared. In order to clear crash data from these modules it has to have the eeprom chip taken off the pcb and read using software like Carprog to find and erase the crash data in order to allow the module to be reused. Have got the software and plan on having a play with the two duff modules to see if I can clear them.
Double check the part number your car needs using Realoem, its important that it gets the right part number, worth mentioning Real oem will list modules that are exchangable retrospectively and those that are not for your car. Any replacement module will of course need coding to the car, with the Z3 I used the data held in the EWS system to code the replacement airbag module.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url