Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

soft top won't go all the way down

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
torrana2

Post by torrana2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I got an 04 plate Z4 with electric soft top last year. I had it stored in my garage over the winter under cover. got it out to play today and the soft top won't go down. the motor isn't burnt out as the hood starts to move then after a few inches it stops.

any suggestions??

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm

torrana2 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:23 pm I got an 04 plate Z4 with electric soft top last year. I had it stored in my garage over the winter under cover. got it out to play today and the soft top won't go down. the motor isn't burnt out as the hood starts to move then after a few inches it stops.

any suggestions??
It may be partly drowned, how often do you clear the drains?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 pm

There are 2 motors, the first releases the locking mechanism, which might by why yours moves a few inches, the second motor is in the passenger rear wheel well , this one is the motor that is prone to fail as the roof drains get blocked and then the motor is submerged and dies, there are several members on here can revive dead motors and move them to the boot, add your location and we could advise the nearest person, or if you want to try yourself I believe there's a how to guide on here
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:41 pm

I also got my car out today after 6 month winter hibernation .
When I tried to put the roof down it unclipped from the front but only moved a couple of inches. I just gave it a little push to get it going.

I gave it 4 full cycles up and down it now works as it should, I presume not moving for 6 months it just needed using.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Happens a lot when they are stored - Basically the sponge the motor is wrapped in will be wet, when it's put away the corrosion will set in on the lower bearing and commutator. The first time it is then operated it will usually work, as the area under the brushes on the commutator will be relatively clean, so away it goes and then comes to rest with the brushes on a corroded section et voila, it won't work. After driving, it may then work intermittently due to the vibration jiggling things around, but the only sure fire way to cure it 100% is via removal, refurb the motor and relocate it.

Mike

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:48 pm Happens a lot when they are stored - Basically the sponge the motor is wrapped in will be wet, when it's put away the corrosion will set in on the lower bearing and commutator. The first time it is then operated it will usually work, as the area under the brushes on the commutator will be relatively clean, so away it goes and then comes to rest with the brushes on a corroded section et voila, it won't work. After driving, it may then work intermittently due to the vibration jiggling things around, but the only sure fire way to cure it 100% is via removal, refurb the motor and relocate it.

Mike
What Mike and all above have said.
It's only a matter of time now and it will die eventually unless you can get it out of the water filled flask it's sitting in.

There are members in that will relocate neatly it into the boot for you, if you wish :-
DucklakeView - St Helens (Wirral)
Number5 - Bristol
Bowser123 - Hampshire
Durham Dave - Cumbria
DietCokeMan - Bucks
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Number5 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:48 pm Happens a lot when they are stored - Basically the sponge the motor is wrapped in will be wet, when it's put away the corrosion will set in on the lower bearing and commutator. The first time it is then operated it will usually work, as the area under the brushes on the commutator will be relatively clean, so away it goes and then comes to rest with the brushes on a corroded section et voila, it won't work. After driving, it may then work intermittently due to the vibration jiggling things around, but the only sure fire way to cure it 100% is via removal, refurb the motor and relocate it.

Mike
What Mike and all above have said.
It's only a matter of time now and it will die eventually unless you can get it out of the water filled flask it's sitting in.

There are members in that will relocate neatly it into the boot for you, if you wish :-
DucklakeView - St Helens (Wirral)
Number5 - Bristol
Bowser123 - Hampshire
Durham Dave - Cumbria
DietCokeMan - Bucks
Just an update on my location lol - Now in WA12 Merseyside.

Mike

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 pm

I moved my motor. It helped for a while but actually what I needed was a new battery.

Just sayin.
Maybe factor in a new battery if your existing battery is elderly?
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

torrana2

Post by torrana2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks all. battery is new so probably not that. I didn't realise there were 2 motors. don't think the motor is sitting in water as it wasn't used in the rain much but I'll check it out. My location is just south of Glasgow so maybe no members nearby. I'll check out the forum for moving the motor as I'm reasonably practical.

williamdefender

Post by williamdefender » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 pm

My z4 is never out in the rain and its only got about 45k miles . I found my motor drowned after the winter hibernation . I guess water builds up with blocked drains and in my case it must have been due to the car getting washed most summer weekends .

torrana2

Post by torrana2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:42 pm

roof back in action thanks to Durham Dave