Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starter motor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
weegeoff

Starter motor

Post by weegeoff » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:10 am

How do you get to the starter motor. It must be there but I can't fine it :!: :headbang: On my 2i E85. Any tips on removing it would be helpful. Thanks in advance

chapeau

Starter motor

Post by chapeau » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:46 am

I traced the big red power cable from the bulkhead and found mine under the sound generator. That was on a 2.5 though.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

weegeoff

Starter motor

Post by weegeoff » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Found it :thumbsup: Some daft sod has hidden it under the inlet manifold :headbang: That should be fun and games to get out as it looks like the lot has got to come off :thumbsdown:

Mike6

Starter motor

Post by Mike6 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:52 pm

Can you get to it from under the car

G600

Starter motor

Post by G600 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:48 am

It's higher up than you'd think. I'm thinking of replacing mine, euro car parts have 2 different ones listed for the M54, does anyone know the difference? I'm assuming auto and manual but I can't find any info.
E85 3.0

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Starter motor

Post by ben g » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:13 pm

G600 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:48 am It's higher up than you'd think. I'm thinking of replacing mine, euro car parts have 2 different ones listed for the M54, does anyone know the difference? I'm assuming auto and manual but I can't find any info.
I went for the cheapest lucas one for my 3.0i manual. It's been fine for years, so must be OK.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

weegeoff

Starter motor

Post by weegeoff » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 pm

G600 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:48 am It's higher up than you'd think. I'm thinking of replacing mine, euro car parts have 2 different ones listed for the M54, does anyone know the difference? I'm assuming auto and manual but I can't find any info.
I wish you could :thumbsdown:

mjennings23

Starter motor

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:02 pm

weegeoff wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 pm
What engine? It's simple enough to get it out from the M54 by just removing the airbox for access.

weegeoff

Starter motor

Post by weegeoff » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:57 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:02 pm
weegeoff wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 pm
What engine? It's simple enough to get it out from the M54 by just removing the airbox for access.
2i. e85 N46

mjennings23

Starter motor

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Well that looks a bit more awkward... BMW procedure states to remove the intake manifold, seems it can be done from below too if you remove the metal undertray at the rear of the engine bay but you'll be working blind trying to get the bolts out of the bell housing.

weegeoff

Starter motor

Post by weegeoff » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:34 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 pm Well that looks a bit more awkward... BMW procedure states to remove the intake manifold, seems it can be done from below too if you remove the metal undertray at the rear of the engine bay but you'll be working blind trying to get the bolts out of the bell housing.
Thanks for that. Do you know if the starter motor will pull out from there. You can see the bolts from the top if you take that plastic thingy off. Its getting the thing back [Motor] that I am worried about with the wiring etc. That will be blind.
Just out of interest where in Greater Manchester are you from. I was born in Rochdale and lived in Bury and Oldham. I have lived up here on the west coast of Scotland for the last 35 years.

mjennings23

Starter motor

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

weegeoff wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:34 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 pm Well that looks a bit more awkward... BMW procedure states to remove the intake manifold, seems it can be done from below too if you remove the metal undertray at the rear of the engine bay but you'll be working blind trying to get the bolts out of the bell housing.
Thanks for that. Do you know if the starter motor will pull out from there. You can see the bolts from the top if you take that plastic thingy off. Its getting the thing back [Motor] that I am worried about with the wiring etc. That will be blind.
Just out of interest where in Greater Manchester are you from. I was born in Rochdale and lived in Bury and Oldham. I have lived up here on the west coast of Scotland for the last 35 years.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e85- ... ng/ICd32F1

Changing the motor on the M54 is a similar thing, you can't see the wiring as you're putting it back together, so I did it by feel then stuck a camera on a stick into the gap to video the result and make sure it was correct :rofl:

In reality it's simple, the thickest post is for the positive cable, the smaller ones for ground. Obviously goes without saying that you need to disconnect the battery before messing around!

Im based in Sale, lived away for uni and then spent some time in London but ended up back again, we're considering moving to the East side of the area, close to the Peaks. Not at all led by my desire to be near good driving roads... Ahem! :fuelfire: :driving:

weegeoff

Starter motor

Post by weegeoff » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Many thanks for your help. The link is brill. :thumbsup:
I did finish up buying a new battery as the existing one was 12 years old. I did get the car started and gave it a good run. Came home , stopped the car and it started with no problems. Did this a few times. That's why I thought it was the battery. Then I had problems buying the new one. The first one I ordered I had an email the next day to say they did not deliver up here . The second one took 8 days. I finally put it on only to confirm that it was the starter motor :headbang:

weegeoff

Starter motor

Post by weegeoff » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:57 pm

weegeoff wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm Many thanks for your help. The link is brill.
I did finish up buying a new battery as the existing one was 12 years old. I did get the car started and gave it a good run. Came home , stopped the car and it started with no problems. Did this a few times. That's why I thought it was the battery. Then I had problems buying the new one. The first one I ordered I had an email the next day to say they did not deliver up here . The second one took 8 days. I finally put it on only to confirm that it was the starter motor
Many thanks for your help. The link is brill. :thumbsup:
I did finish up buying a new battery as the existing one was 12 years old. I did get the car started and gave it a good run. Came home , stopped the car and it started with no problems. Did this a few times. That's why I thought it was the battery. Then I had problems buying the new one. The first one I ordered I had an email the next day to say they did not deliver up here . The second one took 8 days. I finally put it on only to confirm that it was the starter motor :headbang: