Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 2003 2.2 soft top problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dori605

Post by Dori605 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Hello... Today, just out of nowhere,the red light near the soft top open/close buttons started flashing. When i tried to open the roof nothing happends, not a single move not a single noise just the light flashing... Any sugestions?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Welcome to the forum by the way!

It sounds like you may be suffering from the drowned roof motor issue E85s are known for. :(

Luckily there are some members on here who can revive them, and relocate them into the boot - if you give your location someone will be able to tell you who is nearest to you.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Check the storage rack in the boot isn’t in the raised position. If not that it could be a simple microswitch issue
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Dori605

Post by Dori605 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Last year my motor drowned and i had to fix it. I will check it again tomorrow. The storage rack is down, the switch in the boot seemed ok...

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Ok, if it's definitely the red light that is flashing, then the shelf & switch are ok. The orange light you get with the shelf raised, is the upper of the two btw.

So if nothing is happening, ie windows aren't dropping and roof isn't unlatching, then it's more than likely to be a roof module or wiring problem, rather than a motor sitting in water.

You mentioned repairing it last year, did you take the motor out/replace it, and if so is it still in it's original position, or did you take the opportunity to relocate it? I ask, as this fault can also be caused by a motor power cable becoming disconnected - The roof ECU detects this and shuts down.

Do you have access to diagnostic equipment?

Mike

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed May 23, 2018 3:02 pm

bought it yesterday... 2006 z4, roof will lock and unlock, windows go down, then nothing ... i push it down manually and the red light flashes forever... help ? :(
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm

From a trade seller? If so, and not told it doesn't work give back to fix.
If private and stated working then also might have a claim.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Dori605

Post by Dori605 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:01 pm

i think might be the motor. in my case was one of the two sensors located near the motor

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm From a trade seller? If so, and not told it doesn't work give back to fix.
Private seller, who actually told the op that it was a manual roof..

Caveat emptor indeed..

Just repaired it for him and he's a happy bunny.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu May 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Happy days for the fix.

Claim for misrepresentation likely difficult and not worth the hassle... Though I've sued for less!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm
Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm From a trade seller? If so, and not told it doesn't work give back to fix.
Private seller, who actually told the op that it was a manual roof..

Caveat emptor indeed..

Just repaired it for him and he's a happy bunny.

Mike
How can you sit in a car that you're buying and see too roof buttons (one up, one down) and believe its a manual roof ?

OP needs to give more info on this issue, or his location and then we can help.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat May 26, 2018 10:49 pm

thank you number 5 for putting me straight, i invite you to get in a car you have never seen before and instantly know what tiny buttons are for or mean, having never ever looked inside a z4 before how the f**k am i supposed to know what a car has got, or not got. He showed me the buttons and i was impressed it locked and unlocked, and as far i was concerned that was a huge improvement on my last soft top. The last soft top i bought was an MGB 40 years ago, as Ducklakeview commented im a happy bunny now, i have a good car in a rare colour and very good price, and i can see i made a wise choice going to to see him for help. Thank you for your kind offer of further disbelief and incredulation, but i think i can take it from here.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 pm

I'm glad you've got it repaired.
Its a good job there are people around like Mike, myself and a few others who can save you a £1200 bill at main BMW Dealerships and sort you out for a mere fraction of that.

Take up Latin and look at "Caveat Emptor" before buying your next motor and thank yourself lucky you got off lightly this time...
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun May 27, 2018 9:27 am

So your advise is to learn Latin as opposed to learning about my z4. It's so easy to stand at a distance and make judgments. I'm a quick learner. Maybe as a PC engineer of 30 years I should give you a walk round the internals and ask some questions and see how you get on. Thank you for responding and I am sure your a nice bloke deep down, but smart arse comments are not helpful on their own really. I am a new member to this group - do you treat everybody to your withering distain or did I get lucky? :P
Absit invidia
Last edited by road warrior on Sun May 27, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z4 COUPSTER

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Sun May 27, 2018 9:43 am

road warrior wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:49 pm thank you number 5 for putting me straight, i invite you to get in a car you have never seen before and instantly know what tiny buttons are for or mean, having never ever looked inside a z4 before how the f**k am i supposed to know what a car has got, or not got. He showed me the buttons and i was impressed it locked and unlocked, and as far i was concerned that was a huge improvement on my last soft top. The last soft top i bought was an MGB 40 years ago, as Ducklakeview commented im a happy bunny now, i have a good car in a rare colour and very good price, and i can see i made a wise choice going to to see him for help. Thank you for your kind offer of further disbelief and incredulation, but i think i can take it from here.
He is only trying to help. Not a good way to start a new relationship. I'd keep calm and start again.
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!