Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radiator leak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
w1ndsurfnut

Radiator leak

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:19 pm

My car has been laid up for a while (work commitments etc etc ) One of the reasons was oil leak on the rocker cover gasket which I finally got round to doing last year. Been running around in it for the last couple of days and noticed that after a run I could smell coolant in the engine bay. At first I could not see where it was coming from, but just had a look this morning and I have coolant on the radiator core on the right hand side as you look from the front.There is nothing above or around any hose connections so I am assuming its the core. Any suggestions on a replacement from those that have changed it out before. Did you just go OEM from BMW or after market.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Cognac SW France

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Radiator leak

Post by firebobby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:59 pm

These do suffer from the expansion tank leaking, possible that it's leaking. I think DLV changed his, but may be wrong.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Radiator leak

Post by ranski » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 pm

the above or the several O rings

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Radiator leak

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Since you’ve diagnosed and certain it’s the rad then I’d get a recore. Either have yours done or an exchange until.
Not done on Zed but have on previous cars and been very happy and less than OEM or aftermarket
Plenty of companies around that do this.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

w1ndsurfnut

Radiator leak

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Yes I already changed the expansion tank and a few other bits year before last. Did think of a re core but I am in rural France so not sure were to go but thanks for the advice.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Radiator leak

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:39 pm

w1ndsurfnut wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:59 pm Yes I already changed the expansion tank and a few other bits year before last. Did think of a re core but I am in rural France so not sure were to go but thanks for the advice.
Understood - you’d need to google if for local major town and see what’s available.
There’s a dozen in the area around me in Central England that will repair or exchange. France will be the same..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills