Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
eyup

Electrical problems

Post by eyup » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 am

Hi all

I have had a From Bluetooth unit for sometime, only really use for calls but took the usb option to allow music play back. Yesterday used this for the first time properly and was a disaster. On first plugging in the usb stick the first "CD" was selected but when trying to skip to the next everything went wrong.

The unit could not locate any files, even the one it did initially. We tried many times. The headunit, standard business CD, just kept reverting to the radio and the clock lost an hour (could have been time when tried plug in the usb but not sure). Also, at one point the airbag light came on.

I turned off ignition, radio clock went to blank (few dashes) and air bag light went off but I am now pretty sure the parking sensors are not operating. Could all this be related? I did have a new battery before Christmas installed by the AA.

Any ideas?
Last edited by eyup on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coupe - Montego Blue. 108's, simplest mod - second medical box :-)

The journey so far;
i) 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Litre
ii) The Z
iii) what else is needed?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Grom and electrical problems

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:35 am

Do you use the car regularly? Maybe the new battery is low, this can cause all sorts of electronic gremlins to occur.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

eyup

Grom and electrical problems

Post by eyup » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:27 pm

It's a daily driver. Just driven it an noticed the rear heated screen wouldn't work along with the auto air-con. Maybe this isn't from related to the grom if so many systems not working. Cannot see how can be battery, did 170 mile run yesterday unless not getting charge but then there is no delay on starting

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical problems

Post by ph001 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 pm

Sounds like transport mode. Do a search and you will be enlightened.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

eyup

Electrical problems

Post by eyup » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks luckily I bought the software as I wanted to code out the voltage check on the lights anyway. I just don't understand what causing the problem.

New battery, voltage looks fine at cigarette lighter. Everything worked fine until Friday 110 miles into 170 mile journey. What would cause transport mode to come on?

We were trying to get Grom working but not touching any wiring.

I have a failed Ring Led side light, could that cause it somehow?

Everything been working fine since the battery change. When the old battery was tests they said it was getting power, just wouldn't retain it enough so unless something has broken in the last couple of months I am stumped

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical problems

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 pm

If you've got a new battery (did you fit?) then disconnecting it can pop the car in transport mode though it's usually when subject to a slow drain.

Worth checking the alternator for output and measuring voltage at the battery after 3/4 hours with no use. You could have been unlucky and got a dodgy new battery.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical problems

Post by ph001 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:37 pm

The surefire way to confirm if it's in transport mode is:
1) Check aircon button light works
2) Check if heater blower is capable of full speed
3) Rear window demister button lights up

If the answer to the above is no, you are definitely in transport mode. You will also often find some radio functions are missing, central locking does't work from the button inside and parking sensors not operative. Transport mode can be activated if the battery volts fall below 12.4V.

Deleting transport mode requires DIS. Note that transport mode is supposed to be deleted when the main dealers sell the car but often it is just de-activated which means it's vulnerable to coming back on.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

eyup

Electrical problems

Post by eyup » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks guys. I am even more confused now. Everything is back on today and working fine. Car sat overnight, started it this morning and like nothing was ever wrong.

Could it be fiddling with Grom, plugging in and un plugging a USB pen drive caused the issue or is this a total red herring?

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

eyup

Electrical problems

Post by eyup » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:50 pm

I didn't fit the battery, it was the AA. Paid a little more but at least was done there and then

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical problems

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 pm

See how you get on then and if it happens again remove the Grom to try and eliminate.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

eyup

Electrical problems

Post by eyup » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Been playing this weekend and all is fine. Music on usb also fine. This was after recoding to alter home lights timer, clock display and auto door lock when driving. This reset the car clock and when checked the radio was fine all functioning with grom unit.

I cannot get DIS to run on my laptop. I bought from b cables. It won't install but am trying to figure this out. It's cheap software but buggy on the install I think

Please would some one confirm whether the only side effect of led side light bulbs would be the bulb out warming on the dash?

Does the voltage text damage the bulb at all?

Thank you

The journey so far;
ii) The Z

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical problems

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:34 pm

DIS and SSS don't run on my Win 10 tablet but did work on my Win 7 laptop. You could try a Win 7 dual boot or XP as it should work natively on that, though the installer may be a bit of a complex VM fudge to get it to work.
At the moment I have NCS and INPA running but had to manually install them.
eyup wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:07 pm Please would some one confirm whether the only side effect of led side light bulbs would be the bulb out warming on the dash?
Non "CANBUS compatible" LED sidelights should give the warning and also illuminate one of the pairs of indicators on each side they are fitted. When tested by the car they should also flicker rapidly, on start up and periodically.
eyup wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:07 pm Does the voltage text damage the bulb at all?
Which bulb?

When it comes to fault finding you really are changing too much to rule things out by elimination.

eyup

Electrical problems

Post by eyup » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:09 am

Hi Scuba. It's my side lights. Using Ring LEDs with canbus resistor built in. Have been fine but now sometimes dim, sometimes off. Thought it was connections as everytime tested outside housing worked fine. I personally just don't think they can handle the heat. Anyway, swapped out for some Phillips leds and separate resistor in the short term until can learn to code out the bulb check. Going to do the same for the fog lights. All other electrical now fine. There must be a gremlin somewhere but tracking it down is going to be a long process I think

The journey so far;
ii) The Z