Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Squealing / squeaking noise on start up E85 2.5SE

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bewick

Post by Bewick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Evening all. First post on here and new to owning a Z4. As above I have the 2.5 SE model and when you start it from cold there’s a squealing noise and progressively gets quieter as it warms up.

When cold you can hear it from tick over and the way through the Rev range, getting louder and quicker as the revs climb. Once it warms up it’ll disappear at tick over but once you accelerate the noise comes back in and again getting louder and builds up the more you climb the revs. It looks like it’s had a new or recent alternator belt tensioner but I’ve literally just bought the car, drove it home and not inspected since due to lack of time. I’m hoping it’s an easy fix. Just wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues. Thanks again. Dan

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Definitely sounds belt related to me. Although not always easy to tell from a video posting a link up might make it easier to identify.

Why not put up a new member thread in the newbie section. We are always interested to hear from new members and see more zeds :D put a link to this topic as well and you will greatly increase your audience :thumbsup:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Bewick

Post by Bewick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks Tom. Appreciate it matey. I’ll try and get a video up over the next few days 👍

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 pm

If the tension on the alternator belt is too low then the belt ‘squeels’ just after stratup as that is when the alternator is at its most difficult to turn as it has to dump a load of current back into the battery.

If it’s too tight it can easily damage the bearing on the alternator with similar symptoms.

Of course, the tension is supposed to be automatically set by the tensioner pulley but it seems a bit suss if this has just been replaced.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Lob a load of talc on the alternator belt & see if the noise goes. If it does, you know what it is.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 pm

You can buy sprays designed especially for this... https://www.tcfixings.co.uk/main/produc ... cNEALw_wcB

...Its not really a long term solution but will tell you if its a belt tension issue.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Most likely the serpentine belt and/or tensioner. My belt was starting to crack so unless that belts been changed I would guess thats your issue. Any easy fix.

Bewick

Post by Bewick » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Cheers chaps. Appreciate the advice. Hopefully I’ll have a bit time on the weekend to have a bit poke and prod and find the issues. Fingers crossed for a cheap easy fix

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm

The grease in the tensioner & idler pulley bearings dries out over time, remember some Zeds are 15 years old now.

Mine was squealing like a pig, and I certainly wasn't forking out around £450 for the 4 idlers and tensioner..

I removed the belt, tensioner and idlers, and popped the dust covers off the bearings, before washing the old grease out with brake cleaner and forcing new grease in with by fingers, spinning them to distribute it evenly. Popped the covers back on and reassembled.

That was about 10,000 miles ago, and it's still silent..

FWIW, all of mine were noisy to some degree when spun beforehand, and the combined noise wasn't nice..

Mike