Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie with roof problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:20 pm

DP561 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm Hi Russ 59,
Thanks for the tip, once I get the car started I'll have another look at the roof.
The guy who fixed my roof is still on here, his forum name is domsz4
Drop him a PM.

I should have took pics 🤬
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I checked the ECU behind the seat, so yes the roof one.
I've been assuming the problem was initiated by something I did, but, strange things happen sometimes.
What is the EWS module and where is it? When I was getting the allen key from the boot there was a black box beside the battery and I automatically checked the cables were all secure even though I didn't know what it was!!!
The key I used is the same one I used when I first got in the car and it started ok with that key. BUT, I haven't tried the other key since it all went T**ts up so its something I will try.
Being a mechanical engineer (not automotive though) I'm trying to think logically and assuming (not always advisable) that something I've done has caused this. But as you know, it could be also a massive coincidence ...
When I turn the key, there are some strange clunking noises coming from behind the dash/inside the engine compartment.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:00 pm

The EWS module is what controls starting and security. It sends a signal to the transponder in the key when the key is inserted into the ignition - hence why trying a second key can eliminate things from the equation.

However, you perhaps gave me a clue when you mentioned this 'black box' beside the battery. Do you mean the module which sits on the positive battery cable? It's called the BST (battery safety terminal). It's function is to disconnect the big current wire from the car systems in the event of a crash. If this has tripped you can get 12V on some systems through the smaller cables but often can't start the car. I wonder if this could be something to do with your problem, maybe you pulled on the wire and tripped it?. It can be bypassed temporarily.

Have a look at this Youtube link. Search bypassing BST on Google. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c26Jq1O1m0M
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Tried the second key, no luck.
The box I meant wasn't the one right beside the battery, it is under the boot floor cover in the same area as the battery but its not connected to the battery, about 20cm x 20cm and has one cable going into it. Checked the cable, seem to be secure.
:( :( :(

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:59 pm

I think you are probably going to need to connect some diagnostics to check for codes. Carly is easiest to use but not the cheapest - otherwise a cable from Bcables and their INPA install package.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Ok, thanks for all your help ph001. I'll put out another SOS call here before I phone a garage.

DP561

Newbie needs help in Bingley

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone out there live within driving distance of Bingley who is prepared to help me out with my wife car. I'm happy to pay costs.

The original problem was the electric roof not working, windows didn't drop or roof wouldn't unlatch, red light flashing.

I lowered the roof manually and then closed it manually and the car wont start now. All dashboard lights come on and there is a clunking noise when I turn the key, as if it wants to start.

Have had some help on the site to try and narrow things down but to no avail, it still wont start.

I now need someone with diagnostic kit or in depth knowledge of what it may be to help me. I would rather pay a forum member than pay outrageous prices at a garage (plus towing costs).

Any offers?

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Newbie needs help in Bingley

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Is it possible to bump start ? Ie not a auto ? Also if poss try to get a charger on battery or if you think its aged put a new one on .
The roof problem is unlikely to be causing the car not to start , sounds like low battery or faulty starter
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:29 pm

The starter motor is relatively new and the symptoms were different when the starter motor was faulty. The battery is fine, I was able to start the car no problem before I manually opened the roof.

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm

if its the same issue as mine a diagnostic wont help. the inpa cable wont help (but is worth the cash to have), and a garage will be stumped. it took a bit of a while to sort.

the tell tale for me was if I manually put the roof down (open) the lights were off. then try to close the roof. it will get so far and then fail. for me it was when it was pointing straight up. the roof would sag back on its own weight and then work till the same point.
Proud Whip owner ;)

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Hello All,

Thanks for all the advice and help, it was the battery!!! I've lived and learnt. I remember in the vague past when a battery was low there were totally different symptoms. But, its a few years since I had a battery problem...

The car now starts, the roof opens and closes and my wife is happy!!

The only thing wrong now is that the roof doesn't sit flush when its down and wont lock down in the open position...

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 pm

DP561 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:37 pm

The only thing wrong now is that the roof doesn't sit flush when its down and wont lock down in the open position...

That’s another common problem which I wouldn’t worry about, I know some people like it to sit flush but it happens to most at some point in time. It only needs a little push to click it shut.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler