Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie with roof problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DP561

Post by DP561 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi All,

I'm sort of new to the site, I joined a while back but haven't posted anything until now.
My wife has a L/H/D 2005 2.3 coupe which she bought in Germany (she German and very proud of her car). We've have been back in the UK for 3 years now and haven't really had any big problems ...until now.
My wife jumped in the car on the weekend and noticed that the red light beside the roof controls was flashing. She tried to open the roof but nothing worked; she kept trying and eventually it opened and then she closed it again. However, when she tried again nothing worked and nothing has worked since.
I made sure the red lever was in the correct position which it was, the boot shelf was down and the switch on the back wall was engaged but still nothing and the red light is still flashing. When I press the button nothing works, the windows don't drop, the roof doesn't disengage and non of the motors are making any operating noises.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 am

I think there is a wire in the roof that that can break which operates the latch motor or the roof ecu has also been known to fail (something like carly would diagnose).

If you have pulled the red emergency release handle, its common for the release plunger on the pump to stick due to corrosion of dissimilar materials.

If you have a read through this thread you should get some good pointers... https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =Roof+wire
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 am

The OP says the windows don't even drop, which is a stage before any of the roof motors engage, so my guess is that the issue is with the ECU, located behind the small grill, behind the passenger seat (on a RHD car).

The first thing would be to check that the ECu has not become unpluged. Its a small grey box about 100cm x 100cm
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am

Number5 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 am The OP says the windows don't even drop, which is a stage before any of the roof motors engage, so my guess is that the issue is with the ECU, located behind the small grill, behind the passenger seat (on a RHD car).

The first thing would be to check that the ECu has not become unpluged. Its a small grey box about 100cm x 100cm
Or about 100mm x 100mm :thumbsup:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:27 pm

markplant wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am
Number5 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 am .....Its a small grey box about 100cm x 100cm
Or about 100mm x 100mm :thumbsup:
:oops: :oops:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

If the red light continually flashes and windows don’t drop when you press the down button I’m 100% sure you have a break in a wire in the loom in the front of the roof where it goes down the passenger side, it seems to be a common fault with the loom bending over time as the roof goes up and down. Mine was the same, I tried everything till someone on here told me what it was and it was one broken wire and a kink in another. The wires are so thin, just like telephone wire.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 pm

It may not be the roof module. When the roof has been raised/lowered manually, the system loses it's "sync" between the latching motor and the rest of the system. It then goes into lockout as a safety measure.

If you remove the plastic cover in the centre of the header rail, and using a 4mm hex socket, wind the latching motors from one end to the other, this can sometimes reset it.

Mike

DP561

Post by DP561 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi All,
Thanks very much for all your advice, it looks like I've got some things to check this weekend. I will post again to let you all know if I have any luck.
:D
Dave

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi All,
I'm up s**t creek without a paddle at the moment.....
Checked the cables to the ECU and they seemed ok. I couldn't check the wiring running down the side of the roof with the roof up so I manually lowered it. Couldn't really see anything (in other words, I didn't really know what I was looking for!!) Closed the roof, wound the levers down and the car won't start now. All the lights on the dash come on and is sound like relays/switches are clicking but the car wont start.

Help... :(

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am

Put a piece of wood on the starter and tap it with a hammer - if it then starts, you have the typical starter motor issue (do a search). If not, then likely to be ignition switch.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 am

DP561 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:33 pm Hi All,
I'm up s**t creek without a paddle at the moment.....
Checked the cables to the ECU and they seemed ok. I couldn't check the wiring running down the side of the roof with the roof up so I manually lowered it. Couldn't really see anything (in other words, I didn't really know what I was looking for!!) Closed the roof, wound the levers down and the car won't start now. All the lights on the dash come on and is sound like relays/switches are clicking but the car wont start.

Help... :(
You need to wind the roof back approx 1/3rd, then there are approx 4 screws across the front and 1 either side (which are difficult to see) this then drops down and you can access the wiring, it’s obvious which loom it is and the prob will be on the passenger side as it curves.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:42 pm

ph001 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am Put a piece of wood on the starter and tap it with a hammer - if it then starts, you have the typical starter motor issue (do a search). If not, then likely to be ignition switch.

Hi ph001, I don't think its the starter motor, I've had that before and did exactly what you said (tapped it with a hammer) and I've had the motor changed within the last 2 years.
The car wont start since I put the roof down manually. After I checked the ECU cables were secure the car still started ok so I dont think I accidentally disturbed one of the cables, but I cant be 100% sure. All the electrics come on, the windows will drop electrically etc but it wont turn over.

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi Russ 59,
Thanks for the tip, once I get the car started I'll have another look at the roof.

DP561

Post by DP561 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Is there anyone out there who lives within driving distance of Bingley and would be prepared to come out and have a look for me. I'm obviously happy to pay.
Its my wifes car (she calls it Max) and she is falling into a state of depression, it was bad enough the roof not working but since I had to tell her I'd made it worse and now it wont start, things have gone downhill rapidly. Its her pride and joy, shes had it from new (2005) and uses it every day (at least she did before I got my hands on it).
Fingers crossed,
Dave.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Hmmm.. it's a strange coincidence but I just can't think how any kind of roof issue would be related to the car not starting. When you say you checked the ECU, I assume you mean the roof one, not the main engine ECU?

Really, there are not many common reasons for a Zed not turning over that aren't to do with starter solenoid, ignition switch or EWS module. Have you tried the other key (assuming you have 2)?