Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Error code 93 D7

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Callidus

Error code 93 D7

Post by Callidus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Evening folks

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, I did look first!

I've got an error code on my 2007, 2 litre Z.

Airbag light is on and code reader says the above 93 D7 error. Anyone shed any light on it please?
Owned this car for four years and it has only 35,000 genuine miles on it and has definitely not had any impact damage.

I have been suffering from battery going flat since I bought it and put a new battery on it about 3 years ago which solved the flat battery issue for a while. Recently the battery has started going flat again and I used a boost charger on the car one morning as we needed it in a hurry. I'm pretty sure the airbag light came on after that but couldn't swear to it.

Question is, could the boost starter have damaged anything, or could it just be that the battery is on its way out so the airbag light remains on? I've read a few threads in places that blame the ageing battery.

Other question is that if I fit yet another new battery, does the Z4 need to be told on the ECU that a new battery has been fitted? Again there are conflicting opinions on this out there?

Any help greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Callidus

Error code 93 D7

Post by Callidus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Sorry for posting this three times, Rookie!!!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Error code 93 D7

Post by Marlon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Duplicate posts deleted :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Error code 93 D7

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm

From memory the 93 D7 indicates either stored crash data or an internal fault in the module.

A battery change doesn't need registering.

Mike

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Error code 93 D7

Post by firebobby » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 pm

I thought the forum was under attack again, welcome op
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Callidus

Error code 93 D7

Post by Callidus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Just a reply to my own post folks as it looks like no one else has experienced this one.
Now got the car sorted with a second hand Air bag ECU from ebay for £60 but it has to be exactly the same model number.
They need recoding to the car they are being fitted into so I'm told but the VIN number can't be swapped from the donor vehicle.
The unit can be removed by removing the rear half of the centre console but it's a little tricky to get to the front two securing bolts that hold it in. A little patients and a flexible ratchet finally got it out and a local BM independent recoded it and cancelled the airbag light for 50 pounds.
The thing that might be useful to other is that I think I damaged the old unit when I put a battery boost charger across the battery when it was flat. Apparently, if you are going to use one of these boosters, it needs to be connected the the terminals under the bonnet that are specifically for this use and not across the battery terminals as this can fry the airbag or the main engine management ECU. Some folk may know this but I didn't and have used this booster on many vehicles but obviously it's only the BMW that has protested in its usual way of banging on engine management lights!

Anyway, sorted now. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Error code 93 D7

Post by Ewazix » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Callidus wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 pm Just a reply to my own post folks as it looks like no one else has experienced this one.
Now got the car sorted with a second hand Air bag ECU from ebay for £60 but it has to be exactly the same model number.
They need recoding to the car they are being fitted into so I'm told but the VIN number can't be swapped from the donor vehicle.
The unit can be removed by removing the rear half of the centre console but it's a little tricky to get to the front two securing bolts that hold it in. A little patients and a flexible ratchet finally got it out and a local BM independent recoded it and cancelled the airbag light for 50 pounds.
The thing that might be useful to other is that I think I damaged the old unit when I put a battery boost charger across the battery when it was flat. Apparently, if you are going to use one of these boosters, it needs to be connected the the terminals under the bonnet that are specifically for this use and not across the battery terminals as this can fry the airbag or the main engine management ECU. Some folk may know this but I didn't and have used this booster on many vehicles but obviously it's only the BMW that has protested in its usual way of banging on engine management lights!

Anyway, sorted now. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.
It's a good point about boosting the battery directly, using a trickle charger or maintenance unit like ctek directly on the battery is fine as they are very low Amps. But standard high capacity chargers or boosting/jump starting must be done on the under bonnet terminals as they have surge protection to stop you frying modules :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost