Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlamp height adjustment broken?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:37 pm

I have normal halogen headlamps and recently, the drivers side headlamp level dropped after i started her up.

It done it last year for a while and suddenly sorted itself out after a few weeks.

I've just gone out and tried to manually raise the headlight beam level, using the under bonnet adjusters. The passenger side works fine, easy to raise up and down using a screwdriver to turn the adjuster. The drivers side adjuster turns freely, but the beam level doesn't raise or lower.

On ignition, the beam level dips and then raises (as per normal operation), but the beam on the drivers side lamp doesn't raise to the same level as the passenger side lamp.

I've lowered the passenger side level for now, to keep them level, but ideally need a proper fix, as it's far too low for country road driving.

I can only assume something to do with the adjuster has become dislodged inside the headlamp. Is this a case of buying a new lamp housing or something simple that i can remedy myself?

Cheers.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm

ben g wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:37 pm I have normal halogen headlamps and recently, the drivers side headlamp level dropped after i started her up.

It done it last year for a while and suddenly sorted itself out after a few weeks.

I've just gone out and tried to manually raise the headlight beam level, using the under bonnet adjusters. The passenger side works fine, easy to raise up and down using a screwdriver to turn the adjuster. The drivers side adjuster turns freely, but the beam level doesn't raise or lower.

On ignition, the beam level dips and then raises (as per normal operation), but the beam on the drivers side lamp doesn't raise to the same level as the passenger side lamp.

I've lowered the passenger side level for now, to keep them level, but ideally need a proper fix, as it's far too low for country road driving.

I can only assume something to do with the adjuster has become dislodged inside the headlamp. Is this a case of buying a new lamp housing or something simple that i can remedy myself?

Cheers.
Hi Ben, I don’t think my e85 had self levellers? Has your car not got the height adjustment by the light switch?
Mine had halogens as well by the way, I thought it was cars with Xeon lights which had the self levelling gubbins :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:08 pm

You can take the rear cover off the headlight from under the wheel arch (there’s an access panel), and from there you can take out the levelling motor to replace it or see how it has become detached.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm
ben g wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:37 pm I have normal halogen headlamps and recently, the drivers side headlamp level dropped after i started her up.

Cheers.
Hi Ben, I don’t think my e85 had self levellers? Has your car not got the height adjustment by the light switch?
Mine had halogens as well by the way, I thought it was cars with Xeon lights which had the self levelling gubbins :?
Rob
It does have the adjustment wheel on the dash, but it doesn't physically move the drivers side headlamp level up or down, so there must be something inside the headlamp that is dislodged or broken.

The passenger side headlamp level works perfectly fine.

All Z4's of my shape appear to do the drop and raise leveller when turning the ignition on.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I knew there was more to this than meets the eye, so I decided to take the headlamp completey out today.

I was greeted with this:
DSC_5889.JPG
DSC_5889.JPG (107.38 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Not quite sure what that does, but it attaches to the part which you turn which raises/lowers the headlight beam. :headbang:

It has snapped off the back off the chrome inner reflector part of the headlamp. If superglue doesn't work, it's time to look for a 2nd hand headlamp