Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clock and odometer keep resetting

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:42 pm

The car has just been into an indy to have a replacement ignition switch and starter.

Now the clock resets on every start as does the odometer and mpg figures.

The battery is running at 12.7 v with the engine off and over 14v with the engine running.

Any ideas or is it a trip to the stealers ?

Thanks in advance
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Take back to the indy
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 pm

That may not be a result of the Indies work.
If the voltage drops considerably during a start (due to a weak battery or corroded/loose connections at the starter/battery/frame perhaps), the above mentioned items will reset because they think the battery has been disconnected for a short time.
I run an oscilloscope/pc battery/starter/alternator check for exactly this issue.
i seem to be changing quite a few stop/start batteries and at £200+, ive got to be 100% certain it is the battery at fault.

Good luck with it.
Andy.

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm

andyfanshawe wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 pmThat may not be a result of the Indies work.
If the voltage drops considerably during a start (due to a weak battery or corroded/loose connections at the starter/battery/frame perhaps), the above mentioned items will reset because they think the battery has been disconnected for a short time.
I run an oscilloscope/pc battery/starter/alternator check for exactly this issue.
i seem to be changing quite a few stop/start batteries and at £200+, ive got to be 100% certain it is the battery at fault.

Good luck with it.
Andy.
Thanks Andy, thebattery is brand new. The clock settings are lost even if you don't allow the engine to crank ie no start current load. Things are even worse now as I now have the steering sensor light combination coming on and there appears to be no power to the OBD socket. I can't run Carly to get the error codes. I'll have a look at the fuses. My fear is that they have shorted something and 'spiked' the OBC.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Have you informed them? I'd do that straight away, in writing.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Update;

Replacing the blown OBD fuse and resetting the error codes from Carly sorted the clock setting/odometer problem. I still have the warning lights and Carly is saying that it is the steering wheel angle sensor. This has happened before. I had the wheel alignment done today(Hunter) but they couldn't clear the error codes . As I remember you need INPA or other tools to re-calibrate the sensor, you can't just clear the error codes ? Back the indy tomorrow to see if they can do this (they diid last time it happened). Hope it's not a bloody sensor failure as these are expensive to fix :-( I haven't talked to the garage yest as this only happened on Saturday.

Thanks

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Now sorted. Back to the indy who cleared all the codes and re calibrated the SAS. I asked them why they would return a car in that condition and assured them that I would not be darkening their door again.