Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Knock when accelerating - Diff? Drive shaft? Bushes?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DJW

Post by DJW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 am

Hi, gents,

I'm getting a knock every now and again on the zed. Sometimes after a gear change, but I don't think it's the gearbox as I'll also get it when I'm not changing gear - the common denominator is that I'll be accelerating in some way when I get a knock - just the one knock - Any thoughts on where I should start? What might the most likely offender be?

Thanks all

Cheers

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 am

DJW wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 amHmm i have the same issue! I have changed all anti roll bar bushes and links and still have it. Normally notice it at slow speeds when stopping and starting in traffic.

Im thinking a engine/gearbox mount maybe?
Hmm i have the same issue! I have changed all anti roll bar bushes and links and still have it. Normally notice it at slow speeds when stopping and starting in traffic.

Im thinking a engine/gearbox mount maybe?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 am

Propshaft donut coupling would be first thing to inspect - quite common and well documented on here. Not a difficult job but you do need to drop the exhaust IIRC... https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=donut
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 am

ph001 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 amPropshaft donut coupling would be first thing to inspect - quite common and well documented on here. Not a difficult job but you do need to drop the exhaust IIRC... https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=donut

Good call :thumbsup:

DJW

Post by DJW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:54 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 amPropshaft donut coupling would be first thing to inspect - quite common and well documented on here. Not a difficult job but you do need to drop the exhaust IIRC... https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=donut
Cheers - will take a look at it!