Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PDC stopped working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Attilio

PDC stopped working

Post by Attilio » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am

Hi,

all of a sudden my Z's PDC stopped working: it started beeping in the middle of the car park while I was far from any obstacles, stopped beeping and never came back despite coming up close to the wall when reversing into my space. :(

Any tips, suggestions, things I should check?

Thanks in advance!
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

bladeowner

PDC stopped working

Post by bladeowner » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:50 am

Were you in reverse when it started beeping with nothing behind? If so are the sensors clean? If there is a fault you usually get one continuous beep. You can check the sensors by lightly touching the sensors when in reverse - you should feel a slight vibration. The control unit is behind the carpet near the boot light. You can check the connections to it are clean etc.
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

Chris1981

PDC stopped working

Post by Chris1981 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 am

This is exactly how mine started acting before giving up all together, now I just get the one long beep when i put it in reverse as bladeowner has mentioned.

Have you pressure washed the car recently? Mine started after I took it through a jet wash, think i may have gotten water into the sensors... error codes tell me that the left middle sensor isn't working, do you have any error codes?

Might be worth doing the manual check mentioned above if you don't have a code reader
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Havard

PDC stopped working

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:34 am

Got the same problem myself, they work 1 minute and then not the next. Was going to tackle when the weather gets better.

H.
ImageImage

bladeowner

PDC stopped working

Post by bladeowner » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Havard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:34 amGot the same problem myself, they work 1 minute and then not the next. Was going to tackle when the weather gets better.

H.
Mine were doing this last year. In the end I replaced the control unit with one from ebay and they've been fine since.

Havard

PDC stopped working

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:41 pm

bladeowner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm
Havard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:34 amGot the same problem myself, they work 1 minute and then not the next. Was going to tackle when the weather gets better.

H.
Mine were doing this last year. In the end I replaced the control unit with one from ebay and they've been fine since.
I assume it will be the same unit in all BMW models. I may remove the one from my track car and see if that fixes it.
ImageImage

Attilio

PDC stopped working

Post by Attilio » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Havard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:41 pmbladeowner wrote: ↑Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 am
Havard wrote: ↑Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am
Got the same problem myself, they work 1 minute and then not the next. Was going to tackle when the weather gets better.

H.
I assume it will be the same unit in all BMW models. I may remove the on
e from my track car and see if that fixes it.
The car is quite dirty and power washed it weeks ago and the PDC sensors were working just fine afterwards.... this happened all of a sudden.

Thanks for the suggestions guys; will try to do the tests you suggested and in case will start looking for the unit. Going to run a diagnostic on it Saturday afternoon - courtesy of Coffee331 :thumbsup:

Will post and update at the weekend; thanks again
A
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

bladeowner

PDC stopped working

Post by bladeowner » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Havard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:41 pm
bladeowner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm

H.
I assume it will be the same unit in all BMW models. I may remove the one from my track car and see if that fixes it.
The one I replaced it with was according to realoem.com a compatible but newer version.

Havard

PDC stopped working

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 pm

bladeowner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 pm
Havard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:41 pm
bladeowner wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm Mine were doing this last year. In the end I replaced the control unit with one from ebay and they've been fine since.
The one I replaced it with was according to realoem.com a compatible but newer version.
My 330 Ci is on an 05 plate and the M is on a 56, I will have a look and see if they are interchangeable. Not that I need PDC on the track car, don't go backwards very often in that car.... :D
ImageImage