Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Plastic Coolant Pipes

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
OntarioZed

Plastic Coolant Pipes

Post by OntarioZed » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Doing a cooling system overhaul while my 2003 Z4 3.0 is in storage and wanted to also replace the two plastic coolant pipes that hide under the intake manifold as well. I have been able to remove and/or loosen a couple of the bolts that hold these pipes in, since I also have the oil filter housing off for a gasket change, which gives a little better access, but not able to get them all.

Has anyone ever replaced these hard plastic lines without removing the intake manifold? If so, could you describe how.

Thanks in advance.
2003 Z4 3.0i, Non-sport suspension, Merlot metallic, Oregon leather.

OntarioZed

Plastic Coolant Pipes

Post by OntarioZed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 pm

After removing the oil filter housing, DISA, intake boot, idle control solonoid, throttle body, CCV system and sound generator I had enough access to remove both hard plastic coolant lines without removing the intake manifold. Oil filter housing gasket was leaking anyway and the CCV system was old and brittle so may as well replace it while I'm in there.

I will also be replacing the rad (expansion tank was replaced in the fall), water pump, thermostat/housing, top and bottom rad hoses, all o-rings in remaining coolant hoses, intake boot, VANOS oil line, switching to an aluminium water pump pulley, and spark plugs. I was also able to source an aluminum alternative for one of the hard coolant lines, but bought a new BMW plastic one for the other. I want to rebuild the DISA as well with the G.A.S. kit. My DISA was replaced in 2009 and seems to be tight, but you never know. Should be a good refresh for the coming summer months.

Then on to the brakes and suspension!
2003 Z4 3.0i, Non-sport suspension, Merlot metallic, Oregon leather.